Day One in Montreal: Lots of Walking - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

August 26, 2015

Day One in Montreal: Lots of Walking

I couldn't be happier with the apartment. It is spacious and beautiful, and most importantly, directly across Blvd. St. Laurent from our son. We are on the back of the building and it was absolutely quiet last night. We had a great sleep.

Today Mark had the day off and so we had a tour guide. He came over for breakfast (after picking up the groceries) and then, with our bikes languishing in their boxes, we headed out for the day. It is probably easier to tell the story with the pictures.

First Mark took us up to the top of Mont Royal. It was a great walk with some wonderful viewpoints.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here we are at the cross at the top of the park. Or sort of the top of the park...I am pretty sure the cell phone tower was higher.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the Mont Royal Chalet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Views from the Mont Royal chalet. Beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Public art of the day. This sculpture was just outside McGill University.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking across at the iconic Habitat 67, a housing complex designed for Expo 67 by Moshe Safdie when he was only 23 years old. I remember it from my visits to Expo 67. It still looks current. I am not texting in this picture, I am reading the information sign in front of me!
Heart 0 Comment 0
In front of City Hall. There were a number of these, all commemorating something. This one was honouring the 2015 women's World Cup in soccer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I would love to live in one of these. The colours were fabulous.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walking back to our apartment. Mark and I stopped at a great deli he knew on the way back and picked up cold craft beer, pate, cheeses and artisanal crackers. We are enjoying those now and heading out for dinner shortly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our walk-about in Montreal using the Galileo iPhone App. We find this app, which can be used offline, very useful and use it extensively when touring.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After our exploration of the city we headed back to our apartment with a stop for craft beer and cheese and charcuterie. We enjoyed those before heading out for dinner and then walking to get more bagels for the morning. We are loving Montreal.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0