Montreal Day Two: Chocolate, Art and Shopping - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

August 27, 2015

Montreal Day Two: Chocolate, Art and Shopping

We started our day with a quick visit from our son before he headed off to work. I then sat and sipped coffee and planned our day while Keith caught up on his sleep...we are both still feeling the three hour time difference I think.

I studied the guidebook and we decided our first destination would be the Maison des Cyclistes, recommended to us by the Grampies. Our accommodation is literally down the street. We couldn't believe our good luck. We had a wonderful visit in the cafe/bookstore. Keith sat down to peruse a book about cycling in Austria, but something didn't seem quite right. Oops. It was a book about cycling in Australia. We miscued on that one because we have Austria on our minds. I debated hard about buying the book about Quebec's Route Verte, but when I heard you can order it online I reluctantly left it behind. I really don't want to carry it all across Europe. I did come away with a free map of the Montreal bike paths. The cycling infrastructure here continues to impress us.

Next we explored Parc Lafontaine, which was beautiful, and fully accessible by bike. I think all the parks are what make Montreal such a livable city. That is what it looks like to me.

Then it was on to the Musee des Beaux Arts, but not before a stop at Juliette et Chocolat for a coffee and crepe with strawberries, bananas and chocolate. Yummy! Unexpectedly it started to pour while we were sipping our coffee, however, by the time we were done the cloudburst was over and the sun came out. Perfect timing. We walked down Sherbrooke to the museum, and were delighted to discover Keith was free on Thursdays due to his advanced age. Since he married a younger woman, I had to pay, but the gallery was more than worth the price of admission. I found the galleries devoted to decorative arts and design fascinating. The collection of post 1900 objects, utilitarian and decorative was extensive. Keith was most appreciative of a piece of modern art called 'Ken Dryden'. It really was very cool.

Once done at the museum we walked along St. Catherine, a huge shopping destination. We didn't go in too many stores. For a couple of smallish city types it was absolutely mind boggling. I almost dragged Keith into Ogilvys because I remember it from when I was a kid. I decided there wasn't much point...I am really unlikely to buy anything because I don't want to carry it! That makes bike touring very budget friendly.

This bike signage was in Parc Lafontaine. One spot in the park had a bike path, a jogging trail and a walking path. What a great way to encourage healthy living.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Parc Lafontaine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view. This lake is open for skating in the winter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our building. We have an apartment on the quiet side of the building. Mark is directly across the street in the red brick building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mark's terrace, where the red lawn chair and hammock are located.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our strawberry, banana and chocolate crepe at Juliette and Chocolat. We must remember to take the picture before we start to devour it next time!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The flowers are beautiful everywhere we go.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking up from Sherbrooke with Mont Royal in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Musee des Beaux Arts. It is two buildings, across the street from each other and connected by an under street passage.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Public art of the day. The Eye. It was in front of the Musee des Beaux Arts, and caught our eye...pun intended.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We really liked this piece from the Inuit art collection. It is made from a whale vertebrae. Brett and Kiersten, we thought you would like it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The other side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The painting that was Keith's favourite. It is called 'Ken Dryden', who was a goalie with the Montreal Canadiens hockey team. Since Keith loves his hockey it had a natural appeal for him, but I really liked it too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the many, many pieces in the decorative arts and design gallery. Some of the gallery was a walk through memory lane, some was stunning and historical and some was sleek and modern and stunning as well. I really, really enjoyed it. I haven't seen this type of exhibit in an art gallery before and really took my time. It was fascinating.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On our way down to St. Catherine's St. After that there were so many people and so much to look at we forgot to take pictures.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Mark has returned from work and we are about to go find a casual dinner. There is no lack of places to eat in Montreal!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0