Victoria to Montreal: A Smooth Journey - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

August 25, 2015

Victoria to Montreal: A Smooth Journey

What a great day. Our eldest son drove us to the airport where we checked the bikes and then had breakfast together. I had been worrying about the size of Keith's bike box (it is enormous) but Air Canada was completely unconcerned and once more I was reminded that worry is a wasted emotion.

We didn't see them load the bikes on the small aircraft for the Victoria-Vancouver leg, so watched as they unloaded the plane. Sure enough, they were there, and then we had a bit of a chuckle thinking that had they not arrived Air Canada would have had to deliver them to us in Montreal. That seemed, at the time, like it might have been easier.

Our flight to Montreal was the smoothest flight we have ever been on. Not a hint of turbulence the entire time. I read a book 'Being Mortal' which was recommended to me by a friend, and was so engrossed in it I read for the full five hours and forgot I was on a plane. I finished it just minutes before we landed. It is an amazing non fiction book.

Our bikes arrived at over sized luggage at the same time we did, and then, hilariously, we completely jumped the queue at the taxi stand because we needed a van to handle the bikes. I found it so funny, because I had worried about that too. Honestly, I must stop worrying!! So we were on our way into downtown Montreal before most of the people in line were in their cab. Our driver, Mike, was fantastic and we have arranged to have him take us back to the airport next Tuesday.

Mark, our youngest, lives right across the street from the apartment we have rented through AirBnB and was there to help us with the bikes. Serge, our host, was fabulous and we are in the most lovely spot you can imagine. Serge recommended a restaurant where we had a tapas style, delicious dinner, and then we walked with Mark to a bagel spot, bought bagels, warm, from the wood fired oven, and are now back at the apartment. A perfect day.

At the Victoria airport checking the bikes. That is the small bike box you see in the picture. The Air Canada agent was great, and asked about the trip. She loved the sound of the trip, but thought renting a car might be easier!
Heart 0 Comment 0
With our son Mark and host Serge outside the apartment building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had a great dinner of shared plates at Majestique, just down the street.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yummy! We couldn't get it all in the picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In our awesome apartment.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have everything we need, including a washer and dryer. It is an incredible location as well. We are going to have a wonderful week.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0