Angern to Vienna: A Quick Ride to Vienna - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2015

Angern to Vienna: A Quick Ride to Vienna

We enjoyed a lovely breakfast with Pierre and Louise. They are special people. We had a great deal in common. We were all on our way to Vienna today, otherwise we would have lingered longer than we did. Our weather was different from yesterday. No rain, but overcast when we woke up. Evidently it had been sunny earlier, but Keith and I slept through that.

The view out our window this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breakfast with Louise and Pierre.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Retrieving the bikes from the wine room. We thought they would notice if we sailed out with a case on Keith's rear rack.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grapes going down the driveway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The chateau above the Gasthaus is a private residence. Do you think they have enough room?
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was a very different ride today from yesterday. The valley opened up and it was a wide, flat plain. It was breezy when we started out, and the wind continued to build for much of the day. It was all behind us, all the way. By the time we got to Vienna we were travelling at 27 to 30 km an hour with very little effort. A couple of times we headed into the wind for 100 m or so to wind around a lock, or other obstruction and it was hilarious the difference. So it was a very quick ride into Vienna. We confess to both being a bit puzzled by the popularity of this route. It evidently sees 1.8 million cyclists a year - and from what we can see, 1.75 million come in July and August. We are only seeing a few touring cyclists besides ourselves. We found today unremarkable in terms of scenery. It must be the parts from Passau to Linz and Melk to Krems - and then of course, being bookended by two beautiful cities. Or perhaps it is because it is flat!

Typical views today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first stop was Tulln. I had a delicious garlic soup, and Tulln was a great spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look at the clouds being blown towards us. We stayed ahead of them though. The wind blew us along.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Tulln. Public Art of the Day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were really moving along here. You can see what we mean, the scenery is lovely, but not spectacular.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You really have to admire bike signage that points out to you that you are going around a corner, just in case you were a little distracted.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are being blown into Vienna!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This signage puzzled us for a moment, as it seemed contradictory. Then we realized it was telling us we were moving off a short section where the bike path was on the street and back to bikes only. This is certainly a well marked path. The Bikekline book points out that it is virtually impossible to get lost on the route in to Vienna. It is so well signed, and the river is right there.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Keith and I could both rattle off so many things we love about bike touring, but oddly enough, one thing is that you see it all. Today he took a few pictures coming in to Vienna (which IS a beautiful city) to show what one might miss in a car or on a train.

When you enter a large city on a bike, it is not all pretty.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Graffiti is a huge thing over here. To illustrate that point, there is this picture, and then...
Heart 0 Comment 0
You have got to love this!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is the Vienna we came to see though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have a great little apartment for the next two days, and we may decide to stay a third. We have to figure out what we are going to do next, and we have to see Vienna. I am a tourist, and tomorrow I am going to embrace that role!

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 1,250 km (776 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0