Melk to Angern: Wine and Vines - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

September 22, 2015

Melk to Angern: Wine and Vines

What an amazing day. We decided we would visit the Abbey in Melk this morning and have another shorter cycling day. The weather was absolutely perfect, and after a great breakfast we walked up to the massive Abbey. It really was beautiful.

Keith was intrigued with this bicycle on our way up to the Abbey. Kiersten, here is a little project for you when your exam is over!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching the entrance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A tour group, admiring it as well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This model gives an idea of the scale.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We made it inside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of our hotel from the terrace.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It is unbelievable how many pictures we have, just from the Abbey. Unfortunately, the Internet is slow, and I am sleepy (all that wine). So I have made an executive decision to write the journal, and load the pictures tomorrow when hopefully things will be a little faster.

After our visit we picked up panniers and bicycles. Remember that soft front tire in Linz? Well, the inevitable had happened. It was soft again. There was no point in continuing to fool ourselves, and it was as comfortable a spot as one could be to change a tire, so Keith got to work while I inquired about a service station and bakery. By the time all these things were done, and another crack at the Austrian air pump, we didn't leave Melk until 1 PM. Good thing we had a planned a short day!

It became even more important that we had a short day planned, because almost from the moment we left Melk, we couldn't go a kilometre without stopping to look at something. It was such a spectacular ride, in so many ways. We met wonderful people along the way, walked up to visit a fertility goddess, had lunch beside the Donau, admired the villages and the vineyards. It was perfect.

We thought Krems was a good place to shoot for, but when we got there it was bigger than we had been anticipating, and we decided to keep going a little further to a spot called Angern. We are staying at a wine estate, and it is great. The only other guests are Pierre and Louise, also on bikes, and from Montreal. We have had just a fabulous evening with them, and are looking forward to visiting again over breakfast.

I will add a few more photos, but it is going to be slumber time very soon. Blame that Austrian Reisling!

The entrance to the library, and then the church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The illegal photo of the library, shot from the hip, the chief photographer tells me.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking up the spiral staircase.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church was the highlight, and over the top.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another pulpit that would make you feel pretty important to be preaching from I should think.
Heart 0 Comment 0
How about this Saint? All dressed up and nowhere to go. He assumed room temperature some centuries ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Everywhere you looked was spectacular.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back out into the sunshine, several levels down from the museum, but still very high up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Acres of gardens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Exploring the gardens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loved these guys.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A stop for coffee and kuchen. Yum yum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And then...bike mechanic practice!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Exchanging details with a lovely German couple, in Austria, after buying roadside plums.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Random old stuff again!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The mighty Danube.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are back in wine country and we love it. A roadside stand. We were travelling slowly today, because literally around every corner there was something to look at.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh, those vineyards, and orchards too!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a statue modelled after a fertility figure found in 1908 while building the railway. The original dates from Paleolithic times and is only 11 cm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Like the Alsace, you ride right through the famous vineyards.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another farm stand. We prefer to drink our grapes, if you know what I mean.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is hard to get anywhere when every time you round a bend you come across something like this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful little villages.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down the valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming into Spitz.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Danube is river cruise central.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Round another bend and this...honestly, you can hardly believe it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The inside. Of course we stopped!
Heart 0 Comment 0
More vineyards.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Future wine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We love riding through the vineyards.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This one is for you Carol. We loved Durnstein.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our sweet room at the winery. What a wonderful evening we had with Pierre and Louise. We will keep in touch.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 1,173 km (728 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0