Taking it Easy on the Bodensee: Meersburg to Lindau - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

October 8, 2014

Taking it Easy on the Bodensee: Meersburg to Lindau

We had a lazy day on the Bodensee today. Low mileage and low kilometres per hour. We were truly poking around. It was lovely. The sun was out, the lake was sparkling and there were so many interesting towns to poke through.

The bike path reminded us of the Galloping Goose with better signage. It was mostly off road dedicated cycle way with short sections through towns on quiet roads. We were along the lake much of the time. The lake itself reminded us of the Okanagan. There were vineyards, orchards, beautiful homes and beaches.

We stopped for coffee in Friedrichshafen. The Zeppelin Museum is there and we were tempted. So tempted it took us about ten minutes to make a decision. It was when I saw a zeppelin overhead and realized I could have gone up in one, that we decided to carry on. I can read about zeppelins in books. What I really want is a ride!!

We picnicked in a park with interesting sculptures which were explained on a sign in clear German. A nice couple came along and attempted to explain. We are still not sure but it was intriguing.

One amusing moment today occurred when the Chief Navigator was concerned about his bike. He stopped at the bottom of a hill and I obediently stopped just behind him and to his left. He fiddled a bit and then started back up the hill the way he came. I waited, thinking he was going to go fifty yards, turn around and glide down the hill, checking that the problem was solved. Oh no, after he had gone 250 metres I realized he was looking for me. Honestly, up the hill I went, as fast as I could, trying to catch him, before he went back to our previous stop. We really laughed about this one.

We have a great room in Lindau tonight, but the wifi isn't working. So we are sitting in a fabulous little cafe, on the terrace, while I write this and the CN figures out where we are going tomorrow. It is that warm. No heaters needed. Unbelievable.

Pictures may have to wait until tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

Our cozy room in Meersburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lake is surrounded by parks and green spaces.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You have to love this garbage container. Does yours match your house?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Joanne, I found you a bike. It is electric so you can beat Rick up the hills. Isn't this cool!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Doesn't this look like the Goose?
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a school. Note how the kids get to exit at recess. I LOVED it. How much fun would that be?
Heart 0 Comment 0
This door on the far right of the picture has a choice. Stairs (boring) or slide (yahoo). What a great idea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful church on the bike path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our coffee spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The interesting sculptures at the picnic spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We love the name for city hall in German.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Strudel trees everywhere today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We needed this guy on the soccer field sideline when the kids were little.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waiting for a train to pass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming into Lindau.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our view from our restaurant. I still can't believe we were eating outside, and warm, in October.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful evening.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And look who we found on the way back to our hotel. Hund of the Day, the lovely Lucy, who is a Russian breed. Her human said she is so fond of vodka she thought she should get a Russian dog.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 1,728 km (1,073 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0