Heading North: Lindau to Ravensburg to Bad Waldsee - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

October 9, 2014

Heading North: Lindau to Ravensburg to Bad Waldsee

The day did not begin auspiciously. I woke up with a headache and Keith seems to have come down with my cold. Given that Lindau is absolutely gorgeous we decided that the signs were telling us to relax and spend another day. Then we talked to the front desk. They were fully booked! Well, we decided now the signs were telling us to head north. A few Tylenol each and we were good to go.

The weather today was amazing, and that made it very easy to get on the ponies. We poked around Lindau and had a lakeside coffee before getting serious about moving on. The CN had a route planned to Ravensburg, a short forty kms away. We followed the lake for the first eight kms, and then swung right and north. Lake Constance really is beautiful and reminded us so much of the Okanagan.

Our ride to Ravensburg was uneventful in navigational terms, and full of the lovely surprises that bike touring provides. The route was incredibly well signed, and I used my GTW skills well. Ravensburg is a neat city, and having done a Ravensburg puzzle or two in my teaching career I almost felt we should stay there as a matter of pride, but we both wanted to go a little further. We consulted with tourist information and they recommended Bad Waldsee, and away we went.

The twenty six km to Bad Waldsee were a little more difficult in terms of navigation, but we asked Klaus who was biking for advice and he accompanied us to the critical turn and made sure we were on the right route. The flaky GPS sent us on the usual wild goose chase once we were in the town...I call it the grand circle route...but it did get us to the hotel and we are ever so comfy.

We are tucked into the charming Gaesthaus Roessle and have just returned from a great dinner at a spot recommended by the Gaesthaus owners. Yummy. Another great day.

Look what we woke up to! Are we in Hawaii??
Heart 0 Comment 0
We found our Hund of the Day almost immediately. This is Grace and she is a French Bulldog. I wanted to pop her in my pannier and bring her home. She had the most appealing face and personality you could imagine. She won Best Baby when she was a puppy so she is used to accolades. She has a wonderful human who would miss her if she moved to Canada with me, so alas, I had to leave her behind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grace agreed to be in a picture with Keith and I.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lindau is a beautiful spot. The old town is on an island and just charming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our view from coffee. A ferry is heading out to other lakeside communities and Konstanz.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are so many cool old buildings in these cities.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waiting for the train again. The number of cyclists is striking. If it is like this in October, I can't imagine what it is like in July and August. The economic benefits of cycling here are tremendous for these communities.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh how I wish we had this infrastructure at home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wending our way through farms we came across this handsome horse. We loved the braids.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Surprise on the bike path. We happily followed until he turned right and we went straight across the road to pick up the bike path on the other side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some fall colour, but it was really warm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And here is the proof. Yes, the gas prices are interesting (remember, they are in Euros) but what is really great is the temperature... 30 C!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith wants one of these lawn mowers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Ravensburg I felt I needed one of these eis creations that are ubiquitous in Germany. Keith helped me out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Need to move out of your condo? This is an incredibly efficient way to do it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is always something to look at.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thank you Klaus for reassuring us we were on the right bike path and leading us to that critical corner. Remember to come to BC to mountain bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More random pretty stuff.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And more random ride shots.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walking back to the hotel from dinner. Bad Waldsee is a cool town.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 1,793 km (1,113 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0