Long Flights and Tiny Elevators - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

August 31, 2014

Long Flights and Tiny Elevators

We were dropped off at the airport by my sister Nancy and husband David. The four of us were relaxing over coffee when I realized I had forgotten my phone. My brother in law was preparing to go back for it when wisely we phoned it. Sure enough, it started ringing in my new handlebar bag. Put it in the wrong pocket. Crisis averted.

The flights were on time and seamless with a stop and change of planes in Toronto - total travel time 15 + hours. The check in staff didn't bat an eyelash at the bike boxes or bother to weigh them. The bikes arrived in Frankfurt unscathed and we popped them on a trolley. Well, whoever designed the Frankfurt Airport elevators never travelled with bikes. It was hilarious. We had to take two elevators to go three floors. And each time it involved taking the bikes off the trolley, manhandling them in the elevator and then since the elevator was now jammed full, Keith going up with the bikes and me following with the trolley.

The bikes are now assembled and we have gone for a walk to check out the bike path from the airport and grab a bite to eat. We are staying at the Sheraton in the airport. It is a lovely spot and they will keep our bike boxes for us. A bit jet lagged but overall feel pretty good. With the time change we will likely be up for an early start tomorrow.

David, Nancy, myself and our friendly Air Canada agent at the Victoria airport.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small elevators but massive hallway in the Sheraton to assemble the bikes. Bikes and boxes in great shape and went together fairly quickly. Extremely accommodating hotel staff although they didn't offer to pull any wrenches.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Blurry picture but you get the idea. That was one tiny elevator. Those bikes couldn't go through that door on the cart.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0