Happy Birthday Keith: Berlin Day Four - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

October 25, 2014

Happy Birthday Keith: Berlin Day Four

Keith says I am not supposed to mention his birthday, but how can I avoid it? Wolfgang and Anna were waiting for him in the dining room with a cake with candles, presents and singing Happy Birthday this morning. It was fun! And since it was Saturday we had our wonderful tour guides back.

Before we left the house we were able to Skype Wolf and Anna's daughter Kathi and her husband Christian and meet the grandchildren. They live in Freiburg. What a beautiful family. The babies are twenty months and five months old. I won't forget the oldest, Noemi, blowing kisses, or the sweet chubby cheeks on the baby.

Then we went for a tour around the neighbourhood and a nearby village in Wolfgang's 1967 Volkswagen Bug. What a blast. Keith drove, for old times sake. He knew how. He and Wolfgang drove to Mexico together in a 1961 Volkswagen in 1971. They even slept in the car. No wonder they bonded! The four of us laughed the whole time we were out in the car. Wolfgang has a great video of the hilarity on his phone.

We had a wonderful last day. We started out by visiting their son Simon at an organic farm. He volunteers there with young children. I really enjoyed seeing all the kids. They were having a blast, and it was obviously something they really enjoyed. Simon looks great and we are hoping he will come visit us when he finishes school. He is currently working on a Masters in mechanical engineering.

Then Wolfgang took us to the Jewish Memorial. Very powerful. It is hard to describe. It is a series of concrete blocks and as you walk through you go deeper and deeper and feel like there is no escape. Very emotional, and yet, because of the maze like design and young children enjoying it, oblivious to the significance, I found it very hopeful too.

Then we visited the Brandenburg Tor and the room of silence. I found that very moving as well. The gate itself is beautiful and it is hard to fathom that it could not be visited between 1961 and 1989. We also checked out the famous Hotel Adlon. No pictures of this, they are not allowed.

The advantages of local knowledge are huge. Wolfgang took us out to an amazing car showroom where we saw hundreds of new and antique cars. Everything from ancient Citroens and Volkswagens to Ferraris and Lamborghinis. These cars were amazing and the place was huge. There were boats (Riva), and motorcycles too. There was a storage area for privately owned cars on two levels, behind glass doors and I couldn't believe what was in there. It was really, really fun.

By this time it was almost 7 PM and we were taking Wolf and Anna out for dinner in honour of Keith's birthday. He chose Italian and they had made a reservation at their friend Michael's restaurant. It was one of those memorable evenings with friends that we will talk about for years. The food was amazing...I hope we took a picture of the antipasti, the wine was delicious and to be with Wolfgang and Anna in this great city was so special. What a perfect way to celebrate Keith's birthday and the end of a fantastic journey.

I am not ready to go home, but we start tomorrow on the train (I love the trains in Europe) and then our flight on Monday. And by absolute great luck, not great planning, we get an extra hour tomorrow morning because Germany changes back to standard time on the 26th of October. I remind myself it is always better to leave wishing for a few more days than spending the end of a trip wishing it was over!!

Backing the VW out of the driveway. Love the colour!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ready for more passengers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A stop at Wolf's office to make colour photocopies of some old photos featuring himself and Keith.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Come on Wolfie, it is Saturday!
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a surprise when one of Simon's friends walked into the farm wearing a Vancouver Canuck hoodie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A great picture. Simon is on the right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Great goats at the farm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Schweine. Future schnitzel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our final Hund of the Day. The farm dog.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The siegessaeule or Victory Column.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brandenburger Tor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Jewish memorial.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Anna.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One more.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the gate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amazing cars at this spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Boats as well. It is hard to show in pictures how big the place was.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The privately owned Lamborghinis and Ferraris were in the glass garages in the background of this picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the one Keith and I would like to bring home.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And for my friend Nick...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Or perhaps Nick would prefer something custom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vehicles everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
First photo from the birthday dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Antipasti platter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Anna, I can't see you through your wine glass! My camera battery had died and these photos are from Keith's phone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0