Avignon to Beaune: Trains and Bikes - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2014

Avignon to Beaune: Trains and Bikes

Today we had an uneventful ride to Beaune on the TER. We are getting this bike and train thing down, although I still feel a bit anxious each time. I had the removal of the bikes in Beaune orchestrated like a fire drill. You would have recognized the teacher in me. Bags in front of the door prior to arrival at the station, bags out the door the instant the train stopped and then a neat pirouette and Keith was handing me his bike, then mine. Handlebar bag across my chest the whole time. I never let go of my handlebar bag as it has the really important stuff in it, and I do mean important stuff, like money and passports.

We had a bit of time to check out the town on arrival because reception at our hotel was closed from 2PM to 4 PM and we arrived at 3. We are familiar with this closure in France, but it is the first experience of it at a hotel. We popped over to Tourist Information and then checked in. As a result we recorded a grand total of 5km today on the bikes. Our hotel is as cute as can be, and best of all we seem to have good wifi...hallelujah!

We then headed out on a walking tour of Beaune. We really like the town. It is what we consider a perfect size, with lots to see. We went into one cheese store and found the most amazing foodstuffs, many of which I would have loved to bring home for the chef in the family. It had a wine cellar below, where Keith spent most of his time, while I contemplated the 235 Euro per kilo cured ham. A very fun spot, but we ultimately left empty handed. We eventually found a bottle of wine though and headed back to the room to drink it. We don't want all that weight in the panniers, so it had to be consumed. Then we had a good dinner at our Hotel Belllvue, which we recommend. Very friendly and helpful, right down to the loan of wine glasses.

The chief navigator is working out tomorrow's plan. To be continued.

Many trains leaving Avignon this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ponies found a friend on the train!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met Mitzi almost immediately. She is on vacation and was wearing her hair in a braid. Our Chienne of the Day. She was happy to perk her ears up and pose, but assured us she would be getting a haircut the moment she gets home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cheese shop. Also a charcuterie, and dozens of other foodstuffs. Below the glass floor, there was...
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wine!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The chief navigator spent quite a bit of time down here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very attractive City Hall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beaune is an attractive spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Great house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another house. The old town is very attractive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arches on one of the churches.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 5 km (3 miles)
Total: 1,260 km (782 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0