Avignon: A race and the Palace of the Popes - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

September 28, 2014

Avignon: A race and the Palace of the Popes

We woke up this morning to the annual Cite des Papes 10K race going by under our balcony. What fun! Had I known I would have done it just for the t-shirt. That is all talk, because I didn't bring any running shoes. It was fun to watch though, and rather than Victoria's 10K loop, this race went down the Rue de Republique several times so there were lots of opportunities to see the runners.

Much of the day today was devoted to the Pope's Palace in Avignon. It has a fascinating history that you can read more about here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avignon_Papacy. The palace was huge and there was an excellent audio guide to help us understand the history and the architecture. We wandered through enormous rooms and I was pondering the wealth and power of the church. Many of the other impressive buildings in Avignon were cardinal's residences. Heck, the papacy bought the whole city back in the day. The pictures will tell you more about the size of the place.

Once done at the PP it was mid afternoon and we had a snack to keep us going until dinner. Just so you know we haven't completely lost touch with the rest of the world, Ken and Keith found a faux Irish pub just down from the hotel and settled in for beer, peanuts and the Ryder Cup, even though a European win was pretty close to certain. Val and I did one of the recommended walking tours. I have to admit, when we went back to pick up the boys, I watched for a few minutes too, until the expected victory was certain.

We are now back at the hotel relaxing and I am going to try and get a head start on the blog. because we have a busy evening ahead. More pictures to follow.

Setting up for the 10K.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I am sure Barb and I are in there somewhere. I wanted one of those green Cite des Papes 10K t-shirts!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another wedding, this one with bubbles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering a corridor in the PP.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith and I love the gargoyles. We even love the word gargoyle!
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the hidden vaults where the wealth of the church was hidden under the floorboards, as it were. Even so, they were burgled twice, and the fortifications were enormous. People toss change in for luck these days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Massive structure.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was so big and the ceilings so high it had to be cold and drafty.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An example of those high ceilings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Drafty windows.
Heart 0 Comment 0
By this time we were on information overload so we can't remember who this is. Dan S., we think it might be a pope who assumed room temperature some centuries ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rooftops.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from a corridor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We think this gargoyle isn't feeling very well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Photographers being photographed. We are at the top.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amazing views from the tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Through the palace wall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Random old stuff in a garden across from the Irish pub.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leonardo, the Chien of the Day.. He came with the most charming people who were delighted with his new status. Leo is seventeen years old and the affection his humans have for him was palpable.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Around a corner and ta dah! A beautiful door.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wall which surrounds the city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This lion tickled my fancy...a little more aggressive than the Lion's Gate lions.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0