A Ride Dedicated to Julie: Hohentegen to Stein am Rhein - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

October 6, 2014

A Ride Dedicated to Julie: Hohentegen to Stein am Rhein

A very sad day. Our ride today was dedicated to Julie, who lost her battle with cancer yesterday. She fought with such grace and good humour it is hard for us to believe she is gone. Our hearts ache for her husband Bill, her son Christopher and her daughter Kiersten. The world lost a very special person.

The day had a slow beginning for us as we absorbed the news. Before we left the hotel we hiked up to the castle ruins just above it. They were extremely interesting and it was so neat to have them to ourselves.

Julie was with us every pedal stroke today. Shortly after we started we came across a tiny and exquisite chapel by the bike path. We lit a candle for Julie there. I am not a religious person but it felt right.

The ride today was up the Rhine towards the Bodensee. It was pretty hard to get lost but I had to use my best GTW skills, and a couple of times waited at a corner as the CN carried on by, having missed another sign, so he probably biked a kilometre further than I did today.

We stopped at tourist information in Schaffhausen to book a room in Stein am Rhien, our goal for the night. Stein am Rhein is lovely, and a perfect place to spend my birthday. We had a lovely evening, and I want to say once more, in a very heartfelt way, we are so lucky to be able to do this.

Julie as I will remember her. Smiling, putting family first and cooking a Christmas dinner for the ages. To know her was to love her. And she loved and laughed generously right back.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our beautiful hotel just outside of Hohentengen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The castle ruins just above the hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The castle is about 1000 years old according to hotel staff.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith and his windows again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It feels like summer, but looks like fall. Lots of potential apple strudel here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yup. Definitely fall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wood carefully stacked for us. It had our initials on it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nothing around, and then this. Beautifully maintained by someone. We lit candles and made a donation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A heart for Julie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coffee in the sunshine in Neuhausen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith's morning pick me up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was the most amazing machine. It was hooked up to a pipe and then put fertilizer (we are guessing) on the crop. It came out as a dark liquid slurry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rheinfals. We had the most extreme climb of the trip right after this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A very pretty spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After the mega climb we went back down to the river. There was a staircase with a rail for bikes to get down to the continuation of the bike path. Keith was manfully struggling down with his fully loaded bike and I was looking on doubtfully when the nice bus driver said "Why don't you use the lift?" Idiot tourists! The lift was great :).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very interesting boats. There were dozens of them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brett, this one is for you. Do you remember it? When you saw it in Berlin you figured it was the longest word you had ever seen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Great riding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the beach on the Rhine. Still summer here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Poppies and vines.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just our shadows. A different kind of selfie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Passing through a pretty village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
First glimpse of Stein am Rhein.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful spot to explore at the end of our day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lovely Lucy, our Hund of the Day. A distant relative to Buddy.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 1,635 km (1,015 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0