What a dump - Being Alive - CycleBlaze

April 11, 2022 to April 13, 2022

What a dump

Days 51 and 52 - Venice

...of pictures of beautiful Venice. I feel a bit stupid writing about one of the most visited and most written about cities on earth, but here we go. We stayed an extra day because we didn't manage to go into much on the first day, mostly just walked and gawked. On the second day we went to the Doge's palace and the Accademia.

The initial magical wonder did begin to fade a teensy bit, what with the crowds and the queues and high prices and everything, but just take that to mean if you want to be really enchanted, arriving on a quiet evening as the sun is setting is a good option.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Art is the milk of dreams. Genius.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The Doge's palace is ridiculous, you could easily spend a whole day there. We had to queue for a couple of hours to get in, but so did the people who had bought tickets in advance so we didn't mind that much.

It's much bigger than I thought it'd be, and absolutely stuffed with incredible old master-y paintings surrounded by gilded carvings, enormous pieces of furniture, there's an arsenal full of hundreds of bits of armour and weapons straight out of your favourite video games, and a pretty scary labyrinthine prison complex.

We also went to the extra museum bit where the tiny bit of history we learned (for example, did you know, because they traded internationally so much they had plague events about every generation, so returning ships had to wait on another island for about forty days before they could enter, which is where we get our word "quarantine" from!?) really made me keen for more, any recommendations for books or things about Venice?

Heart 1 Comment 1
Ali JaryVenice by Peter Ackroyd is a fascinating account of the history - really brings it alive !
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

It's also fun to go everywhere by boat!

Day 53 - Punta Sabbioni to Carole

Didn't take any pictures, but we left Venice and did a short day, taking in the very many hotels and restaurants and beaches that supply the millions of tourists who come to see it. Not quite as charming. We will be in Trieste in a couple of days which I'm sure will be interesting!

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 2,166 km (1,345 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Ali JaryAmazing photies as ever ! I would love to go back to V3nice and visit the Doge‘s palace . Don’t forget to look up any 2nd world war references in Trieste as I think your Grandpa was there in the Durham Light Infantry.
Hope you have the best Easter weekend and safe swift travels wherever you roam ! Sending much love xxxx
Reply to this comment
2 years ago