Still winded - Being Alive - CycleBlaze

March 20, 2022

Still winded

Day 30 - Mirepoix to Quillan

Managed to have a nice cup of coffee and a relaxed start in the centre of Mirepoix, as we were expecting a pretty easy day.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I know it's wrong, but isn't there something "Western" about this? No? Just me?
Heart 1 Comment 0

I think I might be coming down with something - no idea what, but after our recent rest, there's no reason for me to feel so tired. We've been eating decently and getting masses of sleep, but today I was yawning and yawning and generally felt weak. It isn't just tired legs either.

Today's 50km should've been easy peasy, and some of it was, but the massive headwind didn't help.

Yay cycle path!
Heart 3 Comment 0

We followed great cycle paths through some very nice countryside and beautiful little towns. It feels more like we are in "proper" France now, more familiar, especially when the sun is out. I expect it's just that after Biarritz, we have mostly been in pretty rural and not touristy parts, and the weather has been wet and cold - not very South of France!

Our best view yet of some impressive peaks.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This bird of prey floated ahead of us for a few hundred metres!
Heart 3 Comment 0

A French couple that Sarah talked to said there were lots of anglophones that live in the area, and we heard some at breakfast and also when we stopped in the lovely town of Chalabre. Not something we've been hearing much of recently!

Good ruin!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonThe ruins of Chateau de Legarde, I think. The oldest parts date back to the 1100’s. Ruined during the French Revolution, per Wikipedia.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

Despite the small kilometres, I was really struggling as time went on - good job we weren't aiming for a big day. Finally, we made it, and we were treated to an incredible descent into Quillan. From cloud level all the way to the bottom of the valley on a twisty and fast but not too scary road, for 4km. There is something better than a long slow rail trail descent! Although fast doesn't last as long.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

I feel okay now but it's hard to know how the cycling will go tomorrow. It's still 70km+ to Perpignan where we already have somewhere booked, so it will have to go there somehow.

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 1,116 km (693 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonNot that big a surprise, and don’t be too hard on yourself. The foothills of the Pyrenees are still a challenge.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago