Catching up - Being Alive - CycleBlaze

March 18, 2022 to March 19, 2022

Catching up

Sorry, I've ruined my blogging streak. A combination of fatigue, a not terribly interesting day, and bad wi-fi.

Day 28 - Lourdes to Boussens (by train and bus)

Boussens to Saint Girons (42km, by bike)

A joke that's been made many times I'm sure: what are the most hated three words in the English language? "Rail replacement bus." Turns out they weren't so bad in French - for instance, our bikes and bags actually fit on them - but we did still get a train, run for a bus, get on a bus, have the bus break down, sit still for an hour or so, and get on another bus for another hour, then cycle 42km.

The cycling was actually pretty nice. There was lots of evidence of the deluge of the last day or two, and further evidence of this particular area of France's well constructed dam and canal and othersuch water control infrastructure. Amazingly, no road was flooded. It wasn't actually raining still, but it was damp and humid and cloudy and wet and moist.

The only photos I took:

Train good, bus bad.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Day 29 - Saint Girons to Mirepoix (74km)

Today should have been perfect, really. A good number of kilometres, not too many not too few, good weather, lots of beautiful rail trail, great scenery, etc. It was rather marred by a strong headwind that made the gentle climbing slower and more tiring then it should've been.

However, it did not ruin the long, joyful, carefree, magical, gentle, freewheeling descents! Is there anything better than descending on a rail trail?

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We went through lots of cool tunnels, one of which must've been half a kilometre long! So long it had its own permanent lighting. From afar the glow of the other end looked like a little florescent mushroom or something.

Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After wearing us down most of the day, the wind set up a head on assault for the last 10km into town. These were also the least interesting kilometres of the day and so were a real grind.

The town of Mirepoix is a real treasure though! It's a true medieval city with walls from the 14th century and little shops on boardwalks, overhung by the floors above - looks like something from the wild west!

It's only about 120km to Perpignan so we should be there in a couple of days, for another rest and to see Lulu.

Today's ride: 116 km (72 miles)
Total: 1,066 km (662 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Ali JaryYay ! Freewheelin’rockies ! Hoorah ! Well done you made it weather sounds rubbish and you’ve got to Mirepoix !
A mirepoix is a flavor base made from diced vegetables cooked—usually with butter, oil, or other fat—for a long time on low heat without coloring or browning, as further cooking, often with the addition of tomato purée, creates a darkened brown mixture called pinçage. Wikipedia. !!!! Perfect
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonI love Mirepoix. Glad you got there.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago