Oh Lordy Lourdes - Being Alive - CycleBlaze

March 16, 2022

Oh Lordy Lourdes

Day 26 - rest day Lourdes

Wow, we are probably the most tired we have been yet - even more than after the big climbing days at the start of the trip. The last few days (and weeks) have really taken their toll! Biggest kilometres yet combined with a fair amount of gravel, more than zero climbing (400m-700m+ a day), and the added stress of cycling in the dark etc. We can hardly walk!!

Combined with this I've been having some weird allergy issues. I get hayfever occasionally and my eyes have been itching, watering, and running for a lot of the trip. It usually comes and goes in the day and I can manage but it's been especially bad in the strange humid overcast days we've been having recently. Taking an antihistamine doesn't help much. I've now found out (thanks Rich!) this poor visibility is because of sand from the Sahara, which also explains the weird red stains we've seen on lots of cars here - I wonder if it has to do with my allergies as well!

So basically, I am totally out of it, and all we have managed so far in Lourdes are a few brief walks, to the supermarket, the launderette, and to the famous complex of the "Sanctuary of our Lady". We have partaken of the healing waters, so fingers crossed we'll be better in no time.

The town is a bit "Disneyland in low season"...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The basilica has lots of really beautiful art in its apses.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We even contemplated taking another day off, such were the struggles we had e.g. walking up some stairs. However, plans to meet Sarah's sister have progressed and so we now want to be in Perpignan by the 22nd. Even by our rather indirect route, that's only about 70km a day, so... theoretically... should be no trouble...

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0