Back to normalité - Being Alive - CycleBlaze

March 15, 2022

Back to normalité

Day 25 - Lescar to Lourdes

That's more like it! Wary of the pitfalls that have befallen us recently, today we set our sights pretty low, and we achieved them. Luckily, the nice destination of Lourdes was a brief 51km away. We still managed to cycle 62!

The weather was pretty strange: really warm but overcast, with a hazy mist in the near distance obscuring any good views of the Pyrenees. Or at least, making any good photos impossible - we could still see their snow-covered heights! Hopefully we'll get some clear views tomorrow.

We mostly followed the river all day, the Gave de Pau, and very impressive it was too! It looks like it has recently, or regularly, overflows it's banks - there were lots of uprooted trees and unusual piles of stones directing the flow one way or the other.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Not a bad spot for a picnic! Unfortunately - more bad planning - all the quick food we had left to eat were raisins and the newly discovered, incredible Orangina flavoured haribo.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

More evidence of that is at one point we had to make a detour because of a closed bridge, which accounts for some of the extra kilometres. And what would a day of cycle touring be without a ride down a very narrow, muddy, scary path?

Again we were often following cycle paths which seem so common in Europe, and which we are grateful for.

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

Late in the day, we were following our komoot route which took us off the main road and immediately down a steep hill, across a railway line, and into a tiny rural village with barking dogs. We had already cycled the 50km we thought would get us all the way to Lourdes. We looked at each other and pretty quickly decided to get back on the road and take the most direct route!

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 950 km (590 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Rich FrasierThere's a "weather event" on right now that's driven by winds blowing up from the northern Sahara. They're warmer winds and they carry sand and dust, which accounts for the visibility problems you've noted.

Courage - these events are rare and don't last long. Enjoy the higher temps while they last!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Rich FrasierI wondered if that’s what this is. You could see it as far north as Munich for our stopover, and it’s the same here in Barcelona.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Ali JaryStill very beautiful despite misty outlook - Gave de Pau is a lovely name. Setting realistic goals is good because success is always sweet ! Enjoy your rest in Lourdes xxx
Reply to this comment
2 years ago