Day 4: Landsberg to Gauting - Out and About in Bavaria - 2020 - CycleBlaze

September 11, 2020

Day 4: Landsberg to Gauting

Hotel Goggl, where we stayed, was perfect. It was not only centrally located, but offered quality at a fair price. I find it is always preferable if our hotel is located in the historic center of town or within easy walking distance. We seldom feel like getting on our bikes again in the evening and they are usually already locked up safely indoors somewhere. Corona measures at breakfast were also carefully observed.

The entrance to Hotel Goggl, or exit since we are leaving today, shows their insignia, a rooster. Goggl or Gockel is rooster in German.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today we have the shortest and flattest route of the four days. In spite of many photo stops, we will be home around two. We are on the final lap of our little bicycle tour. It has gone too fast and fall is approaching. Will we have the chance to tour again before the days are too short, too wet and too cold? 

The first leg of the ride to Ammersee is familiar, we rode it last summer. The last stretch from Ammersee we cycle paths that are within the radius of our day outings. We still enjoy it but it isn't new.

A last look at Landsberg's baroque town hall before we leave.
Heart 4 Comment 0
After we cycle up the hill and leave the historic center, we have a view of one of the city gates, the late gothic Bayertor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Interesting public art on the roadside constructed from guardrails
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGood use of the guardrails. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
We are in flatter terrain now - the autumn mist is lingering over the fields.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dare I post yet another picture of sheep?
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonSure. Sheep are cheep.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
We have a few more non-paved surfaces today. This kind of gravel is easy riding. Don't get me wrong - when I say I like gravel riding I mean nice gravel, not deep gravel or big stones.
Heart 3 Comment 0
St. Ulrich in Eresing is one of the highlights of the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
St. Ulrich's baroque interior
Heart 2 Comment 0
The ceiling frescos tell the story of St. Ulrich. In the famous battle on the Lechfeld against the Hungarians in 955, St. Ulrich supported the fighters on horseback with only a Bible in hand. The victory was attributed to his prayer.
Heart 2 Comment 0
St. Ulrich's "fish miracle" - I love the brilliant use of 3-D illusion here. You enter the scene on the steps in the foreground, look through the arch on the left and there is another room, the cupola opens up the ceiling even further...
Heart 3 Comment 0
Window in St. Ulrich
Heart 1 Comment 0
Doorway with impressive wrought iron in St. Ulrich
Heart 0 Comment 0
Again on our way, we stop for a photo of a mowed field, a hunters hide under the tree and in the near distance the Archabbey of St. Ottilien, a community of around 100 Benedictine monks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A traditional way of announcing the birth of a baby - Usually they are placed in the family's front yard but here two are together on a street corner. Franziska was born in February and Maximilian in July.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A bridge over the Lech, under construction but with this generous bike lane
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ammersee is the third largest lake in Bavaria. We stop here for lunch and a few pictures.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ammersee in blue
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWhat a peaceful photo. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

After lunch we have another 20 km. We don't stop for any more pictures on the home stretch, we might have though. We have enough sights near to home that warrant getting the camera out - a good thing since most of our rides are restricted to close to home.

Our little tour has come to an end, we enjoyed it thoroughly and would love more.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Suzanne GibsonTo Rachael AndersonThanks, Rachael!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTaking notes. We still hope to make it here next Autumn, if anyone will let Americans in their door again.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago