Hills, hills - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

August 23, 2017

Hills, hills

Hartberg to Unterlamm

We woke up very tired from our hard ride over the mountain and the subsequent climbs to Hartberg the previous day. We hoped that it would be an easier day of riding. Unfortunately, our hopes were dashed as the hills came one after another. We stopped at a bike shop in Hartberg and then at an OBI, (Austrian version of Home Depot) to get some zap straps to mount our underframe triangular bag. When we had two batteries for our e-motor, the one frame bag had to be removed. Now that we have one battery (carried in a small pannier) it frees up space for a much needed bag with tools to be mounted by the stoker position on the bike.

We arrived in Hartberg, desperately needing a room. All of the prior villages had no vacancies. In fact, the previous village had a large hotel that has been converted to a home for refugees from Syria and Afghanistan. A Syrian family warmly welcomed us and told us that we would find success in Hartberg, a few km along. We did- and we got the last room and it is a bike themed room - perfect!
Heart 1 Comment 0
This lovely Gasthof has been run since 1860 by the same family and now, the sixth generation is at the helm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hartberg is a quaint small town with much charm. This shows the guesthouse where we are staying.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A striking statue in the middle of the old town square.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wonderful architecture surrounding the small town square of Hartberg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Last minute details to check on today's route before we head out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This man is a member of the family who run the Guesthouse in Hartberg. This 6th generation family inn of our 150 years and offers a great place to stay and warm hospitality. Two days ago, an annual week long bike festival with pro racing had just ended. We would like to have seen it, but we would not have been able to find a place to stay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A hunting shack in a prime position. Thankfully, cyclists are not in season!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are not sure what these berries are but they look ripe
Heart 0 Comment 0
The trees with the interesting berries
Heart 0 Comment 1
gj de RollerThese are the ripe berries of elderberry (sambucus nigra). Good to make marmelade or wine.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
An apple farm with juice and apples for sale - it is always good to travel at harvest time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We bought some apples and they were really juicy and crisp. Perfect for a hot summer day of riding.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bit of climbing to do...
Heart 0 Comment 0
This area reminds us of Bavaria in the way that birthdays and new babies are announced on the front lawn of homes. We have seen many tall structures with the birthday number mounted at the top. But we enjoyed this one. His family had taken much care to honour (and maybe embarrass) Alex on his 20th birthday
Heart 1 Comment 0
A baby girl has been born to this family - see the pink blanket on the right?
Heart 0 Comment 0
This area is very popular due to the large number of wineries and thermal baths. We sat at a picnic area by the road to eat our lunch and were surprised to see so many people walking by in this small village. This is when we saw this sign telling us that we were in the middle of a special region!
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a beauty. This cat saw us eating our lunch and kept his eye on us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had our lunch by this monument honouring the young men who had been killed from the two WW's. It was sad to see so many young men from the same family of both generations from the two wars.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A striking tree with prickly fruit or nuts - not sure what kind it is.
Heart 0 Comment 1
gj de RollerThese are sweet chestnuts (Castanea sativa), edible. When they are ripe the spiny husk is brown.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
A vineyard with crates for the grape harvest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We often meet up with obstacles on the trail - usually tractors or farm equipment, but this was a first.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry is already reminding me to use the 3rd rim brake to help on the descent. Our Seavo is equipped with 3 brakes: 2 disc and 1 rim (for the stoker) which really helps for steep downhills and for parking.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is one of those moments when you wonder what the heck you are doing this for. Not only was this section of the route annoying because it went through the forest on a rough track, but this hill which required Barry to push the bike was the final straw. Needless to say, we found a way to get to a road and stayed away from the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The positive moment however was meeting these girls who were out riding these lovely horses.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On our way down and getting off of the route!
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the end of the day of riding just before reaching Unterlamm, we were surprised to see a steep climb out of Furstenfeld which went on for kilometres.It wasn't shown as a climb in our guidebook but it was a brute. Combined with the high 30 degree temperatures, we needed a break before carrying on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a beautiful ride above the valley on the way to Pension Lammerhof.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There are no stores or provisions available here, so Barry rode a couple of km to Unterlamm and picked up some dinner and local wine to eat on the deck of our pension.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Austrian wine from the region - very good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sun is beginning to set as we enjoy the last bit of wine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And here it is - a glorious snnset. Somehow, after a shower and a good dinner, you forget about the pain of getting here and you are ready to head out again the next morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 64 km (40 miles)
Total: 1,646 km (1,022 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0