Farewell Austria.....riding to Maribor, Slovenia - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

August 25, 2017

Farewell Austria.....riding to Maribor, Slovenia

Kurbis (pumpkins) are in season

It is always a day of nostalgia when we are about to leave a country that we have enjoyed. Austria has been a wonderful experience. On previous tours, we have followed the Danube and crossed the Alps in to Italy. This time we have travelled west to east on the Danube to Vienna and then south through the heartland of Eastern Austria - vineyards, ski areas, villages, farms  - often off the beaten track.
Staying at Pension Wagner in Halbenrain, a family run establishment in a tiny village, is a fitting place to stay our last night in Austria. The traditions of this fine pension, the hospitality and pride in their region, embody the charm of Austria that we have loved on this trip. It feels off the beaten track and we are the only cyclists here. Staying at the Pension are Austrians but no foreigners.
The route starts today along the River Mur and follows it to the point where we head south in to Slovenia. We have decided to start on the secondary road and explore villages and the area rather than sticking to the river. 
This was a good decision as it was good riding and we got to see the annual harvest dispays at the various farms. It is very popular for people to drive here and stop at the farms.

Elfi was our host at Pension Wagner and was a pleasure to deal with. My grey hair is looking less dashing than her colour. Should I go red?
Heart 0 Comment 0
This impressive building has served the community and travellers for a long time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We knew that it was pumpkin season, but we weren't expecting these wonderful displays at the farms along the quiet road we took out of Halbenrain. This woman was very proud to show us one of her prize pumpkins.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Much care is taken to display their harvest in an attractive way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Translation: Food and Drink, Genuine pumpkin oil, Fresh free range eggs
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gnomes are a common feature in gardens in this part of Austria. We really enjoyed the whimsy of these gnomes looking out the window.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We think that this is a field of millet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jams, vinegars, juice, apples, pumpkins, squash, pears..... This straw woman has much personality and character. The woman at this farm gave us apples for our journey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At another farm, there was an impressive display, but this kitten has gotten a lot of the attention.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Drying corn on a rack.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The kitten's farm had one of the most elaborate display of produce and people made of burlap and straw with handmade clothing to add character to the scene. It was very impressive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This lady is ready to go shopping with her purse. Many people were out for a drive to visit the farms and buy produce. We had unwittingly stumbled across this seasonal event by choosing to ride on the secondary road rather than following the route along the Mur River from Halbenrain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Whimsical, imagination piece
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pumpkins neatly laid out in rows waiting to be processed for harvesting to make oil.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Having ridden part of the way on the secondary road to enjoy the farms and villages, we headed to the bike route along the River Mur for the last section before heading south in to Slovenia. Along the river, we saw more cyclists, perhaps riding the river route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Churches in rural Austria in this region are generally very small in size, with limited ornamentation and are usually yellow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rushing Mur River
Heart 0 Comment 0
OK, we are now in Slovenia and so far, we have signs. Yeah! We know that the Eurovelo 9 signage will not exist here like it did in Austria, but it is nice to have these as a guide.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Once we entered Slovenia, the hills began. We will have a couple of very steep climbs before we get to the main highway which we will ride alongside for much of the way to Maribor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Slovenia
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen walked the steepest section and Barry rode the bike. Here she's resting before the climb begins again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beauty of Slovenia, so green with a steeple signifying a village... and oh, the hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding through the farmland of Slovenia.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 1,760 km (1,093 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0