We Visit One of Italy's Great Cyclist's Hometown and Camp on the Adriatic Sea - Italy Bound with our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2015

We Visit One of Italy's Great Cyclist's Hometown and Camp on the Adriatic Sea

What a wonderful surprise to leave the campground, enter the village and discover the museum of Cestanetico's beloved cyclist, Marco Pantani. We had forgotten that this was his hometown. The museum is a labour of love, filled with memorabilia of his illustrious pro racing career from his beginnings as a young boy on Coppi's racing team to his ultimate tragic death at the age of 34.
His accomplishments are amazing - multiple wins of the Giro d'Italia and Tour de France, as well as being one of the few to win both in the same year. He was regarded as one of the best hill/mountain climbers of his era.
He was nicknamed the "Pirate" and he wore the drama well,with a bandana, earring, etc. A colourful character, immensely talented and beloved by Italians.
An interesting coincidence regarding Pantani is an experience that we had 4 years ago cycling in England. While cycling in Harwich, we were invited for tea by a couple we met....and their son, Matt Rendell, a journalist pro cycling, was at home. We had a wonderful time talking to him and he told us about Pantini as he has written a book about him. We have been fascinated by this cyclist since then. As well, there is an excellent documentary about Pantani that is now available on Netflix - we highly recommend watching it.
The pictures below tell the story of how much we enjoyed this visit:

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of his signed jerseys when he rode for Astana.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Personal photo albums, his beloved motorcycle and paintings by Pantani on the wall - a uniquely personal museum which we felt privileged to be given this insight in to the man and his community.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We really enjoyed seeing the personal glimpses into Marco's life as a young cyclist. The arrow is a nice touch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even as a young boy, you can see his passion and love of competition.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We camped across from this beach at Torre Pedrera. It was nice to start my birthday at the beach - it's not bad turning 61 while cycling in Italy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
All of these hotels are closed and the short poles in the sand are all that are left where beach umbrellas and chairs would be during the summer season.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The area is completely abandoned - as eerie as it is, we think we like it better uncrowded.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breakfast at the beach. In truth, we were escaping the mosquitoes at the campground, but this was a lovely way to start the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
An early morning walk on the Adriatic Sea - despite the cold wind and pounding surf, the water was not cold.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Souvenirs of Italy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wonderful way to celebrate a birthday - cycling in Europe and strolling along the Adriatic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
For us a 2 star campground rating is a good thing as it means that this is a small lowkey campground in a natural setting without luxurious amenities.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 1,648 km (1,023 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0