Cesenatico to Torre Pedrera by way of Santarcangelo: - more festivals: a Fiera and a Children's Fitness Festival - Italy Bound with our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2015

Cesenatico to Torre Pedrera by way of Santarcangelo: - more festivals: a Fiera and a Children's Fitness Festival

We camped at Cesenatico last night and were grateful that this vast campground was still open for business. We had ridden along miles of beach towns and countless campgrounds along the Adriatic - all of which were closed for the season. The communities felt like ghost towns - hotels literally boarded up and no commerce still active. This seems strange to us as the weather is still quite nice and as a tourist, I would prefer to come to the coast when it is less busy.
Once again, the mosquitoes at camp were almost our undoing, but we persevered. We have become pretty adept at getting in to the tent quickly, but somehow a few got in to our tent and we were both itchy and sore by morning.

Today was an incredibly full day. We toured Cesenatico, chanced upon the museum of its native son and cycling star - Marco Pantini, had fun at festivals: a Fiera (autumn festival) in Santarcangelo and a Children's festival.
Then as afternoon was progressing, we were unable to find camping in the area - so we backtracked to the coast to a campground near Rimini. When we arrived, the owner said that we were lucky as she was closing early and this would be the last night of the season. Again, mosquitoes were a problem.
Nonetheless, the blustery sea was just across the road and the views and beach werequite beautiful. We understand the reason tourists take over this area in the summer.
For some reason, the pictures on today's journal are out of order and impossible to correct. We give up - enjoy.

After leaving the campground, we were delighted to discover the very pretty and charming fishing town of Cesenatico.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This canal runs through the centre of the village to the sea. The "floating" Marine Museum is at one end and working fishing boats are closest to the sea.The blue and yellow boat is the ferry that people use to get across the narrow canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cafes serving fresh off-the-boat seafood are on each side of the canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enjoying her meal of fresh seafood.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch at Piadine Time -cheeseburger for Mary Ellen and Piadine for Barry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sight is quite striking when you come upon the canal and see the reflective beauty of the canal with a floating museum of restored boats bordered by historic buildings along each side. Cesenatico was established in 1302. We didn't realize until later that Leonardo da Vinci had surveyed and designed this canal area at the request of Cesare Borgia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A photo shoot for wedding fashions or an actual wedding - not sure.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the historic boats on the canal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fiera (Autumn Agricultural Festival) in Santarcangelo. Truffles and a vast selection of mushrooms are native here. We enjoyed the mushroom display.
Heart 1 Comment 0
So many varieties realistically displayed on grass. Lovely specimens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a cute and curious puppy - floppy and awkward as only puppies can be.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clearly our Italian skills need improvement - we almost didn't go in to this local community theatre where the mushroom exhibit is. We thought it as a public bathroom!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of interesting things at the market in the Fiera.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Everyone comes out for the Fiera. Down the street we had to detour as the crowds were so thick we couldn't pass through.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
As usual we and our bike attracted curiosity. A mom thrust her son towards Barry and wanted his picture taken.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The young man on the right approached us. He lives in the area and had cycled home from Scotland.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Enjoyed some samples from this olive vendor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We could hear a loud slapping sound and we discovered that this man was slicing mortadella from this huge roll and would slap it with the knife between slices. A good strategy for attracting customers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The familiar grill of preparing sausage and grilled veggie ipad ones.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wine, 1€ a glass from the barrel at the Fiera.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A cheese vendor's stall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The crowds are growing - all ages come to the fair - just like Salt Spring Island Fall Fair where we live.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The animal section - tanks of fish, birds, snakes etc.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Earlier in the day, we saw this man's bicycle shop attached to his house. What a lucky find his shop was. This man builds his own line of bikes and had an interesting shop. Even though it was siesta time, he came out and sold (and installed) new grips for Barry's handlebar.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a nice man and very knowledgable about bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The line of bikes he has created are called BWC.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today has been full of wonderful surprises - finding a builder/designer of bikes, arriving in a city immersed in a fall festival and then this town where a Fitness Festival for kids had taken over the centre of town. No cars allowed - only pedestrians and bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Free rides on the side by side tandem.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kid were practicing head butting the ball and thrusting forward on to the mat. Soccer skills are high here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our tent and bike drew many curious stares and interest. The campground is a close knit community of families who have known each other for years. Most people were there to winterized and close down their caravans for the season.Being close to the beach, sand is everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The campground had a very nice restaurant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The supermarket at the campground.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltHow wonderful that the campground had a restaurant and a supermarket!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Most of the campground is home to permanent trailers that have landscaped yards and extra buildings. There were only a few overnighters like us and we were the only cyclists camping here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A resident camper going to the store.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This gadget works! Press the button and hold it on a bug bite for 30 seconds. It gets quite hot and somehow calms down the itching. Don't leave home without it...and definitely bring it to Italy at this time of year!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were grateful to stay here - it is very large and self sufficient, it is like it is a village with a supermarket, hardware store, restaurant, hair salon, etc. It borders on the Adriatic - we liked it here. Especially since it is off season and quiet.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWhat a fancy campground! So many amenitites!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Today's ride: 39 km (24 miles)
Total: 1,610 km (1,000 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0