Rothenburg to Dinkkelsbuhl: From One Beautiful Medieval City to Another - Italy Bound with our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 20, 2015

Rothenburg to Dinkkelsbuhl: From One Beautiful Medieval City to Another

The day began as it meant to go on - and by that I mean rain. We still remember the unrelenting heat at the beginning of our trip and so we are grateful for the cooler temperatures. The campground in Detwang was a good choice and provided excellent internet access. As well, we liked the nicely furnished inside spaces that gave us a place to read or work on our journal. All too few campgrounds offer this luxury.
The route from Detwang gave us a beautiful route as we wound through the Tauber valley below the towers and walls of Rothenburg. The countryside was rolling and so up and down we went.
Approaching Schillingsfurst we got a chance to test our climbing legs as we had a 6 km climb to the village. It was challenging, but the pay off was a very good bakery as we entered town. It was good to get out of our rain gear and enjoy a cup of coffee. As we arrived, a Dutch couple arrived on their tandem, so we shared a table and talked for a long time about travel, music, cycling and so many things.
The route today went through beautiful countryside,many villages and was most satisfying. We arrived at Dinkelsbuhl and easily found the campground. It feels like a well run campground, internet access at our site and the most impressive bathrooms we have seen for sometime.

Our campground at Detwang (near Rothenburg). It is odd and confusing, there are two campgrounds side by side sharing the same property - Tauberromantik and Tauber Idyll. We preferred this one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are cycling along the Tauber River valley and appreciating the view of Rothenburg high above us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Signage for the Romantic Cycle route as well as the Dutch "Limes" route to Rome (sticker on the bottom).
Heart 0 Comment 0
The donkeys came up to us as we rode by, so we had to stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Donkeys need affection too and this pair were lovely.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We love the ears on this sheep.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we are only in Rothenburg we see that we have a long way to go!
Heart 0 Comment 0
I stopped to chat with the donkeys and Barry proceeded up the hill. This one was small compared to the next one waiting for us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
...and this hill was a monster hill - about 6 km of uphill with many curves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We arrived at the same time as this couple at the bakery atop the hill. We shared a table and lots of conversation.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And off they go - their start up seems so much energetic than ours as we just sit down and start to pedal. But that is our style and we like it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Also at the bakery was this Bavarian cowboy with his horse. He tried to tie his horse to the bakery sign, but it wasn't very sturdy, so he moved on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A scenic spot along the trail and we stopped to enjoy the lake and ducks. This is a typical example of the solar panels we see throughout the countryside on barns and houses. Canada is so far behind Europe and Germany in this regard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Having a break by the lake and checking the route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A decorative element above a doorway in a small town. Not sure what it means, but we liked it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The stork and babies clothing on the line are a tradition here that shows that a baby has been born to this family.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A small sample of the extensive bathroom facilities at the campground in Dinkelsbuhl.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Farewell Dinkelsbuhl - we have enjoyed our 2 nights here, but it is time to move on.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 337 km (209 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0