Rest day - Dinkelsbuhl - Italy Bound with our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 21, 2015

Rest day - Dinkelsbuhl

While travelling, sometimes you just know that you should stay put. Barry has a bit of a dodgy tummy, so we'll go in to Dinkelsbuhl, look around and take it easy.
Dinkelsbuhl is a laid back medieval town with many beautiful old buildings which are well maintained. Many of the towers from the medieval walls remain intact. It is always a treat to enter a town through these historic old tower gates as it often opens up to a cobbled scene which seems to be frozen in time from centuries ago. The old square is often dominated by an imposing church and in Dinkelsbuhl, this is true of Munster St. Georg. The Munster is an impressive historic church with valuable art and carvings. We were lucky to time our visit for a free organ concert by a visiting organist.
A hot meal at a Metzgerei and back to camp for a relaxing evening by our tent.
A good day.

The impressive pipes of the pipe organ at Munster St.Georg in Dinkensbuhl. The sound is quite stirring and we enjoyed his concert.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Munster St. Georg is regarded as one of the most beautiful churches of its type in southern Germany. Both the exterior and interior (and artistic elements like the paintings and statues) are in perfect harmony.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Munster St. Georg has many beautiful wood carvings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These doors in the church are quite ornate and unique in their design.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Exquisite design elements on these doors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dinkelsbuhl has some of the most beautiful medieval houses and buildings in southern Germany. This gabled half timbered Hotel has been well maintained to show its original elegance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A close up of one of the many unique details on the Hotel's exterior.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tower of St. Georg's offers a great view of the town - but this is one tower that Barry didn't climb. Perhaps next time....The tower dates back to 1225 and was built for a church that has been replaced by the current one of 1449 (50 years to build).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Every afternoon, these horses pull a wagon providing tours around Dinkensbuhl. The sound of horse's hooves on cobbles has an authentic historic sound.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A close up of a cast iron sign advertising a business.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A street of Dinkelsbuhl. We really enjoyed its laid back ambience and the integration of local people and their commerce with tourist attractions.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Row upon row of gable horses are plentiful in Dinkelsbuhl. As in any of these towns and villages, the church tower dominates the town. As cyclists we appreciate the view of these towers from afar as it tells us that a village is drawing near.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These lovely horses are waiting patiently for the tour to begin.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A close up of the sun dial at the top of the church tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are curious about this burgundy style tiled roof in Bavaria. Perhaps this has historic significance - or just a decorative touch that the builder liked?
Heart 1 Comment 0
The German and Bavarian flag are proudly displayed at the Rathaus. Earlier at the campground, Barry had asked a man where he was from - I'm from Bavaria.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We revisited Munster St. Georg to take in the atmosphere of this lovely church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our neighbours at the campground are from Bonn and visited us with their 4 month old Golden Retriever/Lab cross. Labs and retrievers are such wonderful dogs and this puppy was curious but very mellow.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our campsite at Dinkensbuhl - a good place with outstanding facilities.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 12 km (7 miles)
Total: 349 km (217 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0