Dinkelsbul to Nordlingen - Italy Bound with our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2015

Dinkelsbul to Nordlingen

There are days on a bike tour when the cycling is superb and this is one of those days. We truly had a great day of riding on paved cycle paths and relatively car free secondary roads. Through this lush agricultural landscape, we saw more tractors than cars. Apart from a few hills at the beginning of the day, we rode through flat terrain.
Rather than following the Romantic Strasse (which we understand rolls through forests on gravel paths) we benefitted from the expertise of our friend and followed the Wornitz River as it wound its way through lovely towns such as, Oettingen and Wassertulingen (sp?). So many villages piqued our interest, but we wanted to get to Donauworth or Nordlingen, so with a bit of sightseeing, we pushed on.
It was a delight for us to see storks again. This is the first that we have been able to observe them closely this year. Their nests were perched atop chimneys on churches and houses...and the parents were busy.
All in all, we had an outstanding day on the bike. We were so enjoying the route that we didn't want to take the shortcut to Donauworth - instead we will head on to Donauworth tomorrow.

Saturday is a festive day in Dinkelsbuhl. We saw many groups like this providing music and song as a fundraiser.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We now are familiar with two Limburgs in Germany - Limburg an der Lahn and Limburg am Wornitz.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This village had many straw people and animals realistically created in front of their homes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This wooden trailer caught our eye.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This whimsical lady of straw is enjoying her bath while the pigs take a rest.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We like these covered picnic spots - this one was provided by the local fire department.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ughh - we noticed a large stain on the cooking pannier when we took it off the bike and wondered at the ominous dripping from the bottom. We discovered that the "full" nalgene bottle of olive oil had a loose lid and it had completely emptied the contents in to our bag. What a mess!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We eat so well here - for our picnic lunch, we made sandwiches of Gouda, sliced shallots and apple, German sweet grainy mustard and yummy bread.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Typical views of our ride today - we enjoy the many villages and scenery along the way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had been watching the storks in their nest and then followed them to this pretty spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering Oettingen, the roundabout featured this copper replica from their brewery. Quite eye catching.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oettingen is a pretty town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Germany has great cycling routes and wonderful places to see, but German beer and Italian eis (ice cream) keep us going.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hazelnut and chocolate scoops of homemade ice cream - yum.
Heart 1 Comment 0
What an incredible ending to a great day. Karl Heinz was walking with his wife and saw me walking towards a Gasthaus. He asked if he could help. When I said that we were looking for a room, he took me under his wing and made it his mission to find us a room. His family have a 500 year history here and he truly knows everyone. After much walking and phoning he found us a room at Hotel Goldene Rose. Thank you Karl!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltHow nice of him to help you all find lodging! :)
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 411 km (255 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0