Werfen to Salzburg - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 2, 2018

Werfen to Salzburg

A glorious ride in the mountains, through gorges & tunnels

This trip has been interesting for us as we have had the adventure of discovering new countries, climbing 3 sets of mountains....Pyrenees, Appenines and Alps, as well as reconnecting with some beloved places. Werfen is indeed one of the latter. The magnificent setting alone makes Werfen an outstanding place to be, but we also like the charm and historic beauty of the Pension here.

Fruhstuck Pension Fleschhaurerei is a place we have stayed in the last 2 years. We have a large balcony on the 3rd floor and have taken advantage of the great view it gives us.
Heart 1 Comment 0

This small picturesque village is set within touching distance of majestic mountains with a view of the castle Burg Hohenwerfen. Could this be a movie set? Indeed, Where Eagles Dare and  parts of The Sound of Music were shot here in the village and on the mountains, to name a few.

Barry is ready for breakfast. As the business is a pension and butcher, we know that the selection of meat and cheese will be very good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The breakfast room is comfy and it’s decor reflects Austrian traditions
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Pension is beautifully decorated with family treasures and Austrian art.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ready to go - we’re on our way to Salzburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An attractive sundial on the wall of a house on the ride out of Werfen.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had an outstanding ride today as we rode through the scenic gorge which follows the Salzach River, then high above the river to farms perched above and finally descending to ride through rural areas and villages to  Salzburg.

Just like last year, there is much construction in the gorge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After a long descent we came down to the valley floor and rode into the town of Golling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The route wound its way through a number of farms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Alpe Adria route in Austria shares the way with the Tauernradweg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We saw many hearts filled with wood on front doorsteps.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An alpaca was keeping watch of us as we rode by.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The well know characters, Max and Moritz are featured on the sign of this business.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met these two fellows from the Czech Republic who were “riding“ these push bikes on the Alpe Adria.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The ride in to Salzburg was easy and uneventful. We had no trouble finding our hotel and we are very happy with its location within walking distance of the centre. We are surprised that this city which attracts so many tourists is quite small. Tomorrow we’ll ride our bike and do some sightseeing.

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 3,466 km (2,152 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0