Salzburg: exploring Mozart, bike shops and hidden byways - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2018

Salzburg: exploring Mozart, bike shops and hidden byways

We are staying in  Salzburg for 2 nights so that we have a chance to explore. We have modified our plans a bit for how and  when we will return to our friends' home and have decided to not cycle tour beyond Salzburg. Instead, we will travel on the train over 2 days from Salzburg to Frankfurt  to break up the journey.  Having taken antibiotics for over a week, Mary Ellen is improving, but she still lacks stamina, so the ideas we had about cycling further have changed.

Alstadt  Hofwirt  Hotel, in the centre of Salzburg, is a pleasant surprise. Salzburg is an expensive city and this hotel is good value. Our room has huge windows overlooking the courtyard which makes for a quiet location for us. The provided breakfast is a huge buffet and we enjoyed eating outside in the oasis of the courtyard.

We love visiting bike shops when we are travelling. The bike on the wall belonged to the owner when he was a young boy in the 1950’s. The bike was found recently in the attic of his family home....his first bike .....an old friend found! The helmet on the wall is made of boiled wool and the owner found it while travelling last year in Kurdistan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The mechanic on the right was very helpful giving advice about hydraulic brakes, rims and the parking brake. The woman owns the shop with her husband.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A souvenir of Salzburg - a 3rd horn for Seavo. We’ll see how the farm animals respond to its quacking sound.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had great fun visiting this bike shop in Salzburg.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltIt's always interesting to see what different bike stores have! :)
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
The second shop we visited is full of a variety of e-bikes. We can see the rapidly increasing popularity of e-bikes here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A motorized scooter...we see many of these “scooting” through the cities, but I think we’ll stick with bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Love these vending machine for bicycle tubes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Salzburg is a small city and the crowds are phenomenal in these narrow streets, especially here outside of Mozart’s birthplace.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking forward to visiting this museum later.
Heart 0 Comment 0
But first we need to eat. Cafe Zum Wilden Mann is a traditional Austrian gasthof filled with character. We like the functional yet decorative, ceramic tiled furnace that is so typical here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen had typical Austrian boiled ham with sauerkraut and veggies.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry had chicken, pork, dumpling and sauerkraut. Delicious!
Heart 0 Comment 0
If you like beer, there is nothing better than a properly pulled pint in an establishment like this.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We both had traditional meals and enjoyed the ambience in this Gasthof.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mary Ellen is off to visit the Mozart Museum and Barry is going to have a bike ride around Salzburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a thrill to see an original instrument used by Mozart, and in the house where he lives.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the room where Mozart was born, there were many personal items on display, including this lock of his hair.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This silk notebook/pocket book belonged to Mozart and it is said that it was always with him.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another of Mozart’s keyboards. There were no barriers around this incredible piece, but there were built in alarms. Nonetheless, it was very tempting to sit down and play a tune.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The kitchen in Mozart’s family home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A typical drawing room of Mozart’s time, set in Mozart’s house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I loved seeing the original instruments in the museum. Having a passion for pianos and playing them, it was a thrill to be in such close proximity and to imagine Mozart playing them.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mozart memorabilia: a chamber pot, a crystal baby’s bottle and a shaving bowl.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A detail of the stone carving above the front door of Mozart’s home and place of birth.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A pretty entrance to a former courtyard with many original elements.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the Mozart Museum it was peaceful and unhurried. But when you step outside, the craziness begins with tourists crammed in to the narrow street trying to take photos of the zmuseum, or in the case of the young woman in the middle, taking a selfie. Knowing Mozart’s exhuberant personailty, I have a feeling that he might have been amused by the chaos of fans and tourists clamouring to take a photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This statue of Mozart was erected in Mozart Square after his death by his beloved home of Salzburg. The city came out to honour him as well as his sons and wife.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Traditional Austrian clothing for sale at a lovely shop next to the Salzburg Museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The castle in Salzburg is a landmark worth exploring. We will save it for next time when we are both healthy and can explore this vast complex.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many horse drawn carriages take visitors around Salzburg’s centre. This young woman was very good at her job.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I think these people had a great tour with this young woman.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a great dog out for a walk with his family.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This remarkable fountain is in the square in front of the Dom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A close up of one of the horses in the fountain. I love this photo that Barry took.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This interesting old door with beautiful metal work is part of the University.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Salzburg coat of arms
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Wild Man statue holds the coat of arms of Salzburg
Heart 0 Comment 0
This art installation below the Castle is very intriguing from many angles. We liked this outlook.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another quirky art installation of dill pickles.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Salzburg is a mix of old as pictured here, as well as the new which are always framed by the topography of the landscape.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This has to be the most dramatic and historic tunnel that we have ridden through. Its construction is set in to the cliff amongst historic buildings. We don't need to go through the tunnel, but we are heading in to check it out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We love it = even this very old tunnel provides a safe place for cyclists and pedestrians to pass through.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Augustiner Brau is the largest Brew House for drinking in Austria
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beer is served in half and full litre ceramic beer mugs. The beer is pulled directly from large wooden barrels
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are at least five halls holding from 200 to 300 people
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is seating for 1500 people in the outdoor garden
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is delicious food sold at booths throughout the inn
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view in the early evening of the castle and the old town
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Castle provides a dramatic backdrop to the city - the rainbow adds to the charm of this view. Salzburg - a small city with much to offer.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 20 km (12 miles)
Total: 3,486 km (2,165 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0