Dorfgastein to Werfen - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2018

Dorfgastein to Werfen

 All good things must come to an end, which means we must move on from Dorfgastein. As we mentioned earlier, we love it here and we are glad we stayed longer. Today has been a perfect day of riding to Werfen. Amazing scenery, tunnels, climbs up the base of the mountain on quiet roads to farms with great views as well as  spectacular gorges which we rode down and through. 

We have marvelled at the views we missed last year due to the inclement weather. Seeing these dramatic snow covered mountains so close is a joy.

This is the view from our guesthouse.We are truly in an Alpine setting with mountains, wooden homes built in a typical style with colourful flowers cascading from railings and window boxes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were lucky to find the guesthouse, Muhlbach-stuberl, a wellrun, family business. They kindly offered us a one bedroom apartment, which was a surprise as we had reserved on booking.com at a sharply reduced rate. The photo shows the breakfast room where we enjoyed a full hot breakfast.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We met fellow cyclists, Christian and Marco staying at Mulbach-stuberl. They are riding to Venice on the same route we have just done. We envy them as the route ahead is lovely.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Christian and Marco originate from Dusseldorf. We enjoyed chatting with them about touring and cycling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pension Mühlbach-stuberl..
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finally Mary Ellen has been successful in seeing a doctor. In this small town it was quick and easy compared to a 5-6 hour wait in Emerg in Udine. The doctor was great and Mary Ellen left with antibiotics and a prescription for her ears as well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Last year we bought delicious strudel from this bakery. This year we had lunch here. It was excellent.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mary Ellen had a yummy cake with a mixture of many delicious ingredients including rum.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry had the oh-so tender and tasty plum strudel with ice cream.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We love how coffee is served in Austria. It always comes with a glass of water and on a small tray.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We appreciated seeing how the vintage tools were restored and displayed on this building.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The first tunnel was lovely and we were separated from the traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This group of cyclists are heading nnorth. We had to stop to let them pass as the tunnel for cyclists is quite narrow. The noise from the traffic is deafening.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the second tunnel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming out of the second tunnel. In this tunnel we were right next to the traffic. The noise of the trucks and cars was deafening. Also this tunnel was almost two kilometres long.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Charming building
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cattle were returning from the pasture on a narrow trail that hugged the side of the mountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After we rode through the tunnels we followed a narrow winding road on the side of the valley. There were many blind corners that cars, tractors and bicycles could easily collide with each other. We saw many of these signs...please slow down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry says...please slow down ....as a car comes screaming around the corner. Bikes also need to slow down as the corners drop straight down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This view of the jagged peaks is one that we couldn’t see last year.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Austrians homes in this region are lovely.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This picture on the sign is quite effective.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The views here are stunning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have climbed up out of the valley and have a great view down to the river. The main road for cars and many big trucks follows the river. We like being up here better.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is great to be up in the Alpine meadows.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A photo like this preserves wonderful memories of riding here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The mountains are so close, yet seem unattainable.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A small peloton .... we see these poles with the decorated tree on top in many of the villages.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met these riders from Hungary and the fellow on the right is riding an American made Lightning recumbent.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The leader of the tour from Hungary is riding this super light BMC bike with carbon forks and a Gates belt drive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We enjoyed chatting with these friendly people from Hungary. The young woman translated for us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And off he goes...a fellow recumbent rider.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Well you don’t see the Statue of Liberty everyday, but Bischofen has one.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leaving Bischofen, we enjoyed the view of the Salzach River and the mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
E-bike charging stations are becoming more common, even in small villages.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltVery cool to see e-bike charging stations! I saw some in Germany when I was there this past Spring. We don't have any in the Washington, DC area where I live...wonder how long it will be before that happens? I see a number of people riding e-bikes.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
A pretty, typically Austrian inn.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The iconic image of Hogenwerfen Castle dominates the skyline in Werfen. We are excited to be back as it is a charming village set very close to the mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met this family when we arrived in Werfen and enjoyed chatting with them. They were just beginning their tour whereas we have the look of people who have been on the road for a while. They are from German and we admired her HP Scorpion e-trike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view from our window at the Pension in Werfen.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This was also our view...the cycling shorts drying in the window are a tell tale sign that a traveller is staying there.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We also stayed in this Pension last year. We will enjoy the terrace and the view for dinner. Last year, the mountains did not appear until the nest morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltDid you all see any rock climbers on these mountains/cliffs?
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Hohenwerfen Castle from our room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eating dinner with food from the local store on our balcony.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 3,412 km (2,119 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0