A rest day in Dorfgastein - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 1, 2018

A rest day in Dorfgastein

We decided to stay an extra night in Dorfgastein. Having excellent Internet to catch up on our journal and a comfortable well equipped apartment with a full kitchen in beautiful surroundings are motivation to stay. As our trip is coming to a close soon, we want to maximize our time by staying in a location that we love. We are very partial to this beautiful valley with its towering ski hills and verdant landscapes. As well, it has been a tough slog travelling with Mary Ellen being I ll and Barry showing symptoms.

After a low key morning relaxing in our wee home away from home, we took Seavo out for a ride without the trailer and panniers.. Just up the road from us is the ski hill with chair lifts and gondolas. For 22 euros each we  could have taken a gondola to the top of the mountain at over 2000 metres. Pardon the pun, but it seemed a bit ‘steep’ for the time we would have and we preferred to explore more of the  valley.  We saw many groups of hikers and families returning  after hiking at the top. For a considerably larger fee  we could have gone tandem flying , but Seavo put his pedal down and reminded us that he, and we, are better on solid ground.

A view of the Alps around Dorfgastein.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Maybe next year?.....
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gondolas ready to go up the mountain. It sounds lovely at the top with hiking trails and a lake at the summit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Love seeing these young children with hiking boots and sticks - mountain kids in the making.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We admire the beautiful weather vanes on the homes here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We went to a local bakery for lunch - sandwiches, strudel and coffee.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The cat was enjoying the sunny day on the warmth of the car. We think that the owner must be exasperated that the cat enjoys a freshly polished car..
Heart 3 Comment 0
A new word for us: kegelbahnen...bowling alley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A typical scene in the valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A very old but functional, drinking fountain.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 3,364 km (2,089 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0