Obervellach to Dorfgastein - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2018

Obervellach to Dorfgastein

Biking up a mountain and through its peak by train

We have returned to Obervellach and a guesthouse that we we really enjoyed last year. The traditional Kirchenwirt  Guesthouse offers very spacious rooms traditionally furnished and the hospitality of the couple who own it. It suits us.

Many examples of taxidermy in the guesthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breakfast at Kirchenwirt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our bedroom at the guesthouse.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were really comfortable here with its many homey touches with a couch for relaxing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The proprietor at Kirchenwirt. We were half way up the mountain to Mallnitz when a car sped past us and stopped right in front of us. It was owner of the guesthouse. He was very excited to see us and flustered at the same time. Speaking rapidly in German we understood that his wife was cross with him and that he was surprised at how fast we were riding up the mountain. It turns out that Mary Ellen paid him for our room, and that they had already received payment through booking.com. No problem, it was our mistake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A good place to stay. The charm of the room and the guesthouse are appealing, but as always, the people running it make it special.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And up the mountain we will go - at the top we will take a train that transports cars, hikers and cyclists through the mountain in a tunnel for 13 km.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is an 8 km ride up, always up...
Heart 1 Comment 0
Delivery of fresh milk
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we climb the views become quite special
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is some car traffic, but many farm vehicles as well.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have just ridden 3 huge switchbacks and are enjoying looking back at the road below.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A look at the switchbacks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The farmer in the tractor has made it back to his farm. Do they ever tire of the view, or the challenges and work related to the mountainous location?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are closer to the top of the mountains that looked so far away when we began our ride this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have made it to Mallnitz - what a great ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It took us about an hour to reach the top, and we have time to relax before the train arrives.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The open train cars that hold automobiles. The car is driven on and the passengers must leave their cars and ride inside a train car.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting way to transport the cars, and the people ride inside a train car.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Vintage Citroen cars on the train
Heart 0 Comment 0
We enjoyed meeting this couple, Wallace and Genevieve, from Australia who sat with us on the train. We were the only cyclists on the train.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wallace and Genevieve ride very nice custom touring bikes from Australia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are approaching Bad Gastein and see thia massive waterfall tumbling down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This spectacular waterfall in the Thermal Spa town of Bad Gastein is stunning. The roar of the water and the spray from the water is impressive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A close up of detail on one of the homes in Bad Gastein
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bad Gastein is built on many levels as its terrain is incredibly steep. Buildings almost appear to be built on top of each other. Riding down to the valley on the bike route is the steepest riding we have done - hard to guess the gradient. People riding up looked pretty knickered.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This woman is about to ride a zip line across Bad Gastein.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A noble and handsome face
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the villages hre we are seeing much lederhosen and traditional dress.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty detail on this building
Heart 1 Comment 0
We love this scenic valley border by towering mountains on the ride south of Bad Gastein. Soon we will be in Dorfgastein where we will stop for the night.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch at a cafe in a grocery store - sandwiches and wurst salad - yum
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buster and Barry testing out a possible patio chair.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is hard not to take pictures continuously as the,homes here are so picturesque and beautifully maintained with lush flowers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hay storage barns
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are staying at Mulbachstuberl, a family run traditional guesthouse set within the mountains. When we arrived, they offered us a one bedroom apartment which we gladly accepted. It feels like a mini home stay for us and we are enjoying having a nice kitchen and room to stretch out.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 3,349 km (2,080 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesSandwiches w/wurst, strudel, cake, coffee from past days have all been great, but there is a lack of schnitzel. If you order some, I recommend also Almdudler, which is the national softdrink of Austria (next to Coke).
Reply to this comment
5 years ago