To Waterton National Park: Village Campground - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2007

To Waterton National Park: Village Campground

Last night when we returned to the campground after dinner, we met up again with Rolf, a German cyclist we met just after Sunwapta Pass. Seems he had been a day behind us in Canmore and took the same route until a junction with Route 40, where he stayed in the mountains.

Rolf leaves before us for breakfast and shopping. The road continues to be rolling and the wind is strong. We reach Twin Butte and eat a breakfast burrito...the place is known to have good Mexican food, so we get salsa & sour cream to put on the burrito. 

The downhills are short, not giving enough momentum to help with the uphill. Reaching a high point, Rolf catches up with us, we agree to share a campsite in the National Park. Just pass the park entrance, by lower Waterton Lake there is a crowd...which means wildlife of some kind has been spotted. It's a momma grizzly with two cubs feeding on berries. We watch, Patrick gets some great pictures, we continue on to the visitor information center. We find out the "Going to the Sun" road closes tomorrow, so we may have to change our route. We will know when we get to St. Mary's.

We set up camp, Rolf heads out on his bike, we plan to walk to town but never get past the campsite across from us. The camper has a Canadian and Dutch flag flying and a long haired cat in a cage. Rachel goes to talk with them, Patrick comes over and soon we have a beer visiting. They are Bill and Evelyn, both Dutch, and have lived in Canada most of their lives. They fly the Dutch flag because across the way are Dutch rental caravans flying flags. They bring a second long haired cat out, they don't like the cage.

It's close to dinnertime, and back in camp, other neighbors come over, Lisa an attorney from Washington DC just finished a bike trip with Adventure cycling across America then split off in Missoula on the Lewis and Clark Trail. She'd met Mark in Dillon, a journalist. We have another beer with them. They then take off to search for elk. 

Rolf joins us for dinner...Brats with fried onion and green pepper and baked beans. We visit until almost 10pm, the latest we've been up and outside the tent in a long time. We usually get in the tent by 730pm.

Tomorrow is a rest day.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner with Rolf from Germany
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 14,661 km (9,104 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0