To Pincher creek: Municipal Campground - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

September 14, 2007

To Pincher creek: Municipal Campground

It is a cold night. 

In the middle of the night Patrick awoke to something messing with our pannier bags that we left underneath the picnic table. He shines a light and makes pretty sure it is not a bear. He thinks it's a racoon, skunk, weasel, porcupine...something about that size, just a dog sized critter trying to get into the food bag. He tosses two shoes in its direction and then puts on clothes and explores. The animal is gone, it managed to pull out half loaf of bread and ate a good chunk of it. Fortunately, it did not get to the rest of our food...yet....

We pack the bag back up and Patrick takes the panniers with the food and the drybag with the cereal and cookies and places in the bathroom building. The next morning there is frost on the bikes, we put on our hats and pack up an ice covered tent...again. Right out of the campground is the start of a climb. We are sure glad yesterday that we did not have to do that one but knew it was waiting for us this morning. It isn't as bad as it looked, but there are a couple more right behind it that make us work pretty hard. We're riding through rolling ranch country, pastures with cows, stands of aspen and cottonwood in between. Some are starting to change color but the pure colors are still a week out.

The hills look very dry, the storm that hit us two days ago must have passed to the North of here. Our first goal is the intersection with Alberta 3, there we decide either to stay at a Provincial campground or push on another 24km to Pincher Creek and a hot shower. Despite the wind we go for the latter. There are a few long hills, a couple of "divots" as Rachel calls them, two small towns with most shops out of business. As we enter Pincher Creek we stop at a shell station for a cold drink and chocolate for an energy boost!

Then we search out the information center where we find free internet and direction to the municipal campground. Nathan has published more pictures, we look at them eagerly, but do not have the time to organize or add captions. That will have to wait until Missoula. The municipal campground is the nicest we've seen. There are hot showers, a nice tent site under a tree and all this for $5!

We walk back to town, have dinner at a "Swiss" restaurant then shop at the grocery store. Pincher Creek got it's name because of some pincers (a tool to shoe horses) in a creek by prospectors which were found again several years later. There are several murals depicting this scene, plus statues and pictures of pincers everywhere. Feels like a nice town.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick finds a treasure for his handlebar bag
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the middle of nowhere
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 98 km (61 miles)
Total: 14,604 km (9,069 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0