To Stanley: Idaho Hot Springs - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

October 1, 2007

To Stanley: Idaho Hot Springs

We're surprised that it is dry in the morning. It's still cold but above freezing and the sky is grey. Looks like rain. We pack up and eat our cereal in the store with a large hot cup of coffee. We're not planning to go far today and plan to stop at several hot springs along the way.

The first one is at Sunbeam. There is an old bathhouse and several pools along the Salmon River. The pools are shallow and not all that hot, it has started to rain so we seek shelter under the bathhouse awning and eat a sandwich. Two more hot springs we pass up, the last one just before Stanley has a nice wooden tub, but it is right off the road, no privacy at all for changing. We decide to pass this up, we'll stop at Kirkham tomorrow. 

The weather is nasty when we reach the junction with Highway 21. We go to the library to check our email and send out an email to people who might want to join us on our ride home.

 Due to the cold and possibly with bad weather we decide not to take a rest day in the Sawtooth and instead ride straight on to Boise. The horses are smelling the barn. That would mean we will bet home on Thursday, two days earlier than planned. We've been in touch with our house sitters about our arrival.

We splurge and take a motel room and find out that they have an awesome natural hot tub in a shed on the river. We sign up for a time. One side of the shed can be opened and a view out over the valley. A sleet and snowstorm passes while we soak in the chest deep hot water. The bottom is fine white sand and gravel and the water hot!

The rest of the afternoon we watch a whole bunch of reruns of Law and Order. Rachel cooks dinner in the parking lot, chicken strips with stir fried vegetables, mashed potatoes and green beans. We watch more TV until midnight, disgusted with three news channels.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cooking dinner in the parking lot
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 15,584 km (9,678 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0