To Kirkham Hot Springs: One more night on the road - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

October 2, 2007

To Kirkham Hot Springs: One more night on the road

What luxury, the room is dark and we sleep until 8am! After breakfast and coffee, we pack up and on the road about 9:15am, late for us. The mountains have more snow, the road is dry, it is cold!

We start the gradual climb to Banner Summit 7000+meters. The fall colors on the hillsides and the meadows are splendid. It seems forever before we get to the summit. We stop and take pictures of Boise National Forest sign. Then the descent with only a few small hills to climb, until we reach Sourdough Lodge and stop for lunch. It is too cold to eat a cold sandwich so the fish sandwich for Rachel and a French dip for Patrick hit the spot. As we go lower the temperature is a little warmer. We get to Kirkham about 2:30pm. It was 10 years ago in fall we camped here doing a "shake down" ride with new equipment for a Yucatan trip.

Camp is set up quickly and we go to the hot springs and enjoy a Moose Drool Beer Patrick has carried. The warm water feels so good on tired cycling muscles. This is one of the nicest hot springs and the campground is looking more inviting. A forest fire had happened here and the new trees planted are now growing bigger. Dinner is beef strips with onions, green pepper and mushrooms over noodles. We go back to the hot springs just before dark, then settle into the tent. We are trying to finish our books before returning home.

Only one more night on the road.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A spoof on our Idaho Senator that has been outspoken against gays was arrested in an airport bathroom for solicitation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 86 km (53 miles)
Total: 15,670 km (9,731 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0