To Phetchaburi: Yellow shirts everywhere - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

December 5, 2006

To Phetchaburi: Yellow shirts everywhere

Out of the hotel and on the road by 0600. It is windy today, and Rachel drafts behind Patrick for most of the ride. Our first rest stop is at an Esso Gas Station. There are 3 or 4 dogs running loose and then a cage with at least 6 more dogs. There is construction on the road in parts, with wind, Rachel is happy the road is essentially flat.

Our second rest stop is another Esso, but this is more pleasant. We have slices of rye roll we bought yesterday with Nutella and gouda cheese. We arrive to town, checked into the hotel and cleaned up by 1215. After a peanut butter sandwich and a pepsi we go out exploring.

We take a Tuk Tuk to the Khao Luang caves along a scenic route. The caves are only 2 kms from the hotel, we first go all the way downtown. The cave has many Buddha statues with one large reclining Buddha. Sunlight filtered in from a hole in the ceiling. We walk back to the main road and catch a Tuk Tuk, the driver makes a stop at a temple to feed the monkeys.

Around 3, we go out to find the cable car to Khao Wang (Holy City Hill) after finding a restaurant for pad thai. The cable car takes us up the hill, we walk around enjoying the view of the city. We each have a lime sherbert ice cream cone for the short walk back to the hotel. We explore the street behind the hotel and find a store for beer and water. We also see a very nice restaurant called Relax and decide to return for dinner instead of the planned Tuk Tuk ride to town and the night market.

This was a good choice. Except everyone in the restaurant but us had on yellow shirts with the royal emblem on the pocket. We have been seeing the shirts everywhere since being in Thailand, but today there was a noticeable increase in the number of people wearing them.

When we return to the hotel we find out today is the big celebration for the 60 year reign of the king, and his 80th birthday (??). We watch a little of the celebration on TV before switching the station to the Star Movie Channel for another James Bond movie.

Rachel, born in the year of the Tiger.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 2,579 km (1,602 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0