To Kathmandu: 10,000km milestone and to Tashi Dhele - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2007

To Kathmandu: 10,000km milestone and to Tashi Dhele

Last day cycling in Asia!

We carry our gear down all those narrow stone steps and have a cup of milk coffee with Dave and Rod before we set off. It's only 2 km before we pass the 10,000km milestone.

After the 26km to Dhulikhel, it's supposed to be downhill to Kathmandu...it's never all downhill.

We have been on the road for 8 months+, the goal from Denpasar, Bali to Kathmandu, a destination on a map, and now here is the last day of cycling in Asia. We've both lost weight, almost too much, eating noodles and rice, small frequent meals during the say, small evening meals and are now looking forward to the good food in Kathmandu.

We are working our way up the road with Rod leap frogging us until the last 3-5km. He waits at a roadside cafe for Dave. It is tough climbing for us, doesn't matter much that we have been at higher altitudes and now we are supposed to "fly" up this last pass...except maybe not quite as short of breath, but still tiring and it's hard to push. Finally at the top, we stop for water, a coke, and potato chips before the final push.

A short downhill before one more 3km climb, slowly we start to get into more populated area and more traffic. On the outskirts of Kathmandu to the hotel in Thamel took us 1.5 hours...almost walking through some of the traffic. We stop for some momos and a drink before reaching Thamel and Hotel Tashi Dhele.

Our room is on the 5th floor, which should keep us in shape while not cycling and eating more food. We settle in, clean up and go exploring. Down one side street, we see Dave and Rod, and Joann (the Polish cyclist). We agree to meet tomorrow night at the Irish Pub. Then on another street while eating french fries we see two Kiwis, we had already checked in with the East German cyclists Jorg & Tine and plan to meet them at the Mexican Restaurant tonight.

At 7pm, we go to find the restaurant and it no longer exists. So we all go looking for the Northfield Cafe. Rachel has a margarita...that thought is what she says kept her going, Mexican food and a margarita. Since cycling in South America in 1999, Rachel calls certain days, Margarita Days, that keeps her going for the end of the day reward.

We had a nice evening and say goodbye to Jorg and Tine as they leave tomorrow and we invite them to visit us in Idaho. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Souvenirs bought from the roadside
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering Kathmandu
Heart 0 Comment 0
Reaching the Thamel area
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrived to Tashi Dhele Hotel, ending our Asian segment of the trip
Heart 0 Comment 0
Addendum: Since we are writing this now in 2020, our trip in 2015-17 took us to Kathmandu and we stayed at this hotel again, so we included the picture comparisons. https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/racpatrtw/
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick had worked on his unibomber look
Heart 0 Comment 0
David and Rod, and the Polish cyclist (we never got her name right)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tine and Jorg, Eastern Germans. (Addendum: they visited us in 2010 for a backcountry ski adventure. If you followed our 2015-17 journal, you see we stayed with them in Germany)
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 9,636 km (5,984 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0