To Dolalghat: Dal Bhat, Dal Bhat, Dal Bhat, Dal Bhat - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2007

To Dolalghat: Dal Bhat, Dal Bhat, Dal Bhat, Dal Bhat

We are up at 7, Chinese time, which means it's only a quarter to 5am here, the difference being two hours and fifteen minutes. Fortunately the Nepalis are early risers too.

Rachel drops most of our gear out the hallway window where Patrick catches and puts on the bikes. Some hot water from the kitchen and we are off. Today we are following a river and have mostly flat ride. The road is partially paved with some bad sections of dirt where landslides have been. The landscape is very green with terraced fields everywhere. It's nice to ride along and hear birds. It's now hot. After a short climb and a downhill to Dolalghat (Alt 700m) at the bottom of the "last" hill to Kathmandu we decide to leave the hill for tomorrow morning.

There is a small restaurant right across the bridge, it's mentioned in our bicycling guidebook, with two rooms on the roof. A bit of a haul to get the bikes up there, but we have a nice view across the town. We rest and read during the hottest part of the day. 

At about 4pm two Aussies, David and Rod, arrive also on bicycles. They rode in today from Dram Tibet. Our only lunch choice is Dal Bhat, the boy giving us no other choice. We return for dinner with the Aussies. The man gives us menus, but then comes back and points to each of us saying: "Dal Bhat, Dal Bhat, Dal Bhat, Dal Bhat." Guess that is what we are having for dinner. It is good food, and we have a nice visit with Dave and Rod. Patrick discovers his rear tire flat and he changes both the tire and inner tube.

We are dwindling down the amount of spare tubes.

Dropping gear out the window
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tent still needed to be dried
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 9,578 km (5,948 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0