To Deese River Crossing: Jade City - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

August 12, 2007

To Deese River Crossing: Jade City

As we were packing up, the RV'ers from last night stop in front of our site, one to reattach their car being towed behind the RV, we say again what a nice evening we had with them.

The Cassier Highway continues to be beautiful with Mountains closer, and crossing many creeks, all named. Midday we reach Jade City, with the anticipation of finding a barrette for Rachel's hair. There is only a comb and small boby pins, and everything is expensive. 75% of the world's Jade comes from around here. We bought a Happy Buddha at Jade Mountain, South Vietnam, Rachel asks the woman at the counter, "would the jade had come from here?" She said "Yes." The place is busy with the many RV's, most numbered and travelling together probably, like the ones that passed us this morning. The stop wasn't for nothing, we enjoy the free hot coffee!

After going on, just on a downhill we see cycle tourists coming our way. We stop and wait for them to climb the steep part of the hill, they stop to talk. The couple is from Spain cycling from Vancouver to Whitehorse. Again, when cyclists meet information about the road, accommodations and food supplies is exchanged. They have been fighting a headwind. As we talk, a black fox comes up very near to us.

We continue on and either the road shifted or just the wind shifted, but we end up with a headwind. We stop at Cottonwood Rest area by the river for a food break. Finally at milepost 555 we cross the bridge and to the Deese River campground. The owners are very friendly originally Dairy Farmers from Wisconsin, have been here 8 years and joked "It was a dream, now a nightmare.."

Most sites are along the river. The wind is gusty as we pitch the tent. The shower and toilet building looks new and is set up like a home bathroom, toilet, sink and shower in one room with fresh flowers. Patrick fixes supper and because of the wind uses the tent to block it and cooks just outside the vestibule...and tonight's dinner is what Patrick has been waiting for..."Dinty Moore Stew", when he cycled solo in 1992-93 across America he loved Dinty Moore Stew. Rachel thinks this ends a memory that this is good food.

Dishes done, to be out of the wind, we go to the sitting area in the laundry room to read, Patrick burns the pictures to DVD's.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 89 km (55 miles)
Total: 12,421 km (7,713 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0