To Boya Lake Campground: Cassiar Highway - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

August 11, 2007

To Boya Lake Campground: Cassiar Highway

Since last nights supper was lean, we decide to have another breakfast at the campground's "Wolf it Down" Restaurant. The other cyclists head to the building that looks like a big meeting hall to get away from the bugs and cold to cook.

We set out and just as we reach the "Welcome to British Columbia" sign, the cyclists catch up with us and we ask them to take our picture. Later, Patrick says the vertical picture, wasn't vertical and the other one is all grass. The Cassier Highway has wide off road shoulders to the forest, but not as wide as on the Alaskan Highway, so we feel more in the "wilderness" and seeing the denser forest closer up.

There are a few steep, short hills; some rolling with enough speed on the downhill to get partially up the uphill. We ride with Wurther & Phillip for awhile, or Patrick rides with them and Rachel follows to keep up. Then they remain ahead of us and eventually out of sight. We stop for a lunch break and then comes a downhill to a beautiful blue lake and we see them in the distance taking a break. We stop & visit a bit, they take off and we expect not to see them again. But we do, later they are eating and Phillip had to repair a broken spoke.

The last 20km go at a fast clip, Patrick keeps a fast pace going....the road has flattened a bit. We turn off to Boya Lake and go down the 2km to the lake and find a site with a nice view of the lake. As we pitch the tent, 3 couples of RV'ers travelling together stop and chat a bit with us. 

We have a ham and cheese sandwich with the wheat bread we bought at the campground bakery/restaurant. It's good, unsliced and crumbles when cutting. We also have hot soup and 2 apple turnovers that we bought this morning after breakfast. There is a trail we take around the lake and through the forest to another cove of the lake to a beaver dam.

After dinner of tuna & noodles and corn we walk around the campground and get invited by the RV'ers "Do you want some birthday cake?" When we go into their camp, Rachel mentions that her birthday is next week, and they sing Happy Birthday.

We sit around their fire and talk for about 1 1/2 hours. Nice people.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This the best of Welcome to BC sign
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 90 km (56 miles)
Total: 12,332 km (7,658 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0