To Chumphon: Across the Isthmus of Kra - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

November 29, 2006

To Chumphon: Across the Isthmus of Kra

We leave again before first light. The lady that runs the bungalows is already up too and wishes us a good trip. It is very foggy this morning, we think because of the valley and the sea so nearby.

We ride across the Isthmus of Kra today, first skirting the Myanmar (Burma) border then turning east to cross the "continent" to the east coast of Thailand. It's not much of a climb, but a very pretty ride up rolling hills covered in dense jungle. About halfway the fog burns off and it gets hot quickly. At a rest break in a bus stop we see a row of cyclists, four of them, speed by at a good clip. They either don't see us, or they are German... (we've met Germans before who don't stop). We don't notice them until they have already passed.

The last 10km from the main route 401 intersection into town, the traffic gets busy. We pass by the post office and mail two more dvd's to Nathan. (a reminder, we send Nathan our pictures and he downloads them to a harddrive for backup) Then we meet an Italian cyclist who was just getting ready to leave town, headed North, must be a late starter.

We take a nice room with AC, hot water and a TV with Fox news. We clean up, Rachel does laundry in the bathtub and then head into town for lunch. Chumphon is the bigger Thai city we've been in so far. Lots of concrete and it is hot, but also colorful and lots of stores and things to see. We have dinner at the night market.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Italian cyclist
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cyclists meet and share information
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 2,220 km (1,379 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0