To Bang Saphon: Hotel on the beach - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

November 30, 2006

To Bang Saphon: Hotel on the beach

Patrick takes a bike down to the lobby and brings the cart back up in the elevator. A hotel worker helps with loading the gear on the cart and while Patrick carries the other bike down the stairs, Rachel goes down in the elevator. Elevators makes it so much easier to shuttle gear down.

We have a map of the Northern coastal roads and Patrick took notes from the Italian cyclists Southern Coastal map. We head out of town following the railroad going North. Every once in awhile we come to a junction, Patrick always seems to intuitively know how to go. Sometimes we get sign postings of towns, the route numbers change at one intersection Patrick says to a policeman "Bang Saphon?" and other people would point to the road we need. Patrick's philosophy is you are never lost until you admit it.

Some sections were relatively flat, then we would get a section more typical of coastal roads, up and down and some ups were steep! We get glimpses of the Gulf of Thailand. Some sections are shaded but mostly not and as the day progressed ...it got hot! We stopped frequently for the electrolyte sports drink and one stop we had lime popsicles.

Mostly though it was nice not being on Route 4 and being on secondary roads instead. About 5 kms from town, Patrick pulls out the LP and we decide to look for the Coral Hotel right on the beach. We get to town without seeing it. As we decide which direction to go, a woman German cyclist talks with us. Her bike is unloaded, she is at the Bungalows next to the Coral Hotel and has ridden into town to go to the 7-11 store and internet. She convinces us to ride back (even though cyclists hate to backtrack) to the area and check it out. Ouch! that was riding back 5-6 kms and a ... hill.... but we find the road and turn to go the 1km to the hotel. We are not sure of the bungalows and go to the Coral Hotel instead. We decide to treat ourselves and stay for 1210bts in "luxury". The hotel is practically on the beach and has a beautiful swimming pool.

First order of business is a quick shower, swimsuits on and head for the pool and jacuzzi!! Nice on aching muscles. Then a quick dip in the ocean, followed with a clean shower. Patrick rides back the 1km to the main road and store for chips and beer.

We go to the restaurant next to the hotel and hope to see the German cyclist, but we don't. The meal is wonderful, fried rice with crab, prawns and cashews in a tasty sauce and vegetables. Tom Yam Seafood soup. After dinner, we read and watch Asian CNN.

Discussing which way to go.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spirit houses
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 112 km (70 miles)
Total: 2,332 km (1,448 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0