One more Rest Day in Tuk Tuk: Ride to Tomok unloaded - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

October 26, 2006

One more Rest Day in Tuk Tuk: Ride to Tomok unloaded

We each have a banana pancake and honey for breakfast, then set out for an early ride to Tomok. We head away from Tomak to go across the church road cutoff. The locals are building a better drainage ditch along the road.

Tomok is a 7 km ride and the main village on the East side of Samosir Island. The streets are lined with souvenir shops and have several traditional batak houses and the grave of King Sidabutar. We rode past all the souvenir shops and continued up the road past local houses and fields until it became a footpath. We could see the inland escarpment and a huge waterfall. Rachel watches the bikes as Patrick took pictures. Indonesian "tourists" wanted their picture taken with Rachel and the bikes, then with Patrick. Never thought of ourselves as tourist attractions.

Walking back down towards the harbor, we buy roasted corn on the cob. It was very salty (perfect for Rachel) and tough, with memories of Bob's BBQ corn on the cob! Patrick says while we were eating the corn that we could probably set up shop here, stand behind our bikes and charge 1000Rp for a picture with us.

On the way back, we stop at Toba cottages to have lunch. The afternoon we rest and read. Rachel's cough has returned. For dinner, we go to the hotel owner's restaurant, Patrick has sweet and sour chicken, Rachel the fried chicken and mashed potatoes. The owner sits with us for a while, then leaves coming back with a cup of hot tea with "ginger" for Rachel to soothe her cough. It seems to have helped.

Back in our room, we play a Yahtzee-like dice game we learned in South America. And read as the rain continues off and on.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0