Another Rest Day in Tuk Tuk: Rainy day - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

October 25, 2006

Another Rest Day in Tuk Tuk: Rainy day

A rainy day. We are awaken in the middle of the night by a large group (sounds like it at least) of Chinese Indonesians moving into the three empty rooms. They drink, party and make noise for quite a while. This morning they pack up and leave. Our hotel owner also seems disgusted with them. Lake Toba gets a lot of local tourist from Medan over the holidays and weekends like this. People head into the mountains to escape the heat in Medan. The Chinese are mostly well off as small business owners and make up most of this crowd and there seems to be an attitude problem.

It rains off and on all day, we had planned to ride again but instead just read and catch up on our journal. In the evening we head back to Franky's restaurant for a grilled lake fish and mie goreng. The restaurant next to our hotel is having a feast though, this afternoon Patrick heard a loud squeal from their backyard and now they are roasting a piglet over an open fire in the street. Rachel loses interest when they explain the Batak way of fixing the meat cooked in its own blood. We go for fish tonight.

On our way back, a big thunderstorm moves in, and we enjoy the light show over the lake. After a big lightening strike all power goes out on the island, it comes back on about 30 minutes later, but twice more the lightening knocks it out.

We have learned to keep our headlights nearby.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0