Day 21: La Paz to Todos Santos - Baja 2014 - CycleBlaze

December 19, 2014

Day 21: La Paz to Todos Santos

Heart 0 Comment 0

I slept in today as I knew it was going to be an easy day. It took about 90 minutes to escape the clutches of La Paz, but once I was on the open road it was a pleasant ride due south to Todos Santos. It was uphill most of the way, but the grade was so gentle that it felt flat, except for when I got a nice downhill run coming into town. Really easy, pleasant riding.

Todos Santos is a nice town. Definitely a tourist destination, but nice. It has an artsy feel to it. I am taking the day off tomorrow to rest up before the final push, and to hopefully get some Christmas shopping done.

Not many pictures on my exit from La Paz... I was using the phone to navigate my way out of this big, noisy city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
But this gives an honest impression of what it was like.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This mural reads "how many deaths is your gold worth". I was happy to see that it was the Canadians getting ragged on this time. One of the advantages of the North American Free Trade Agreement is that Mexico is getting exploited by more than just the US now. And vice versa... I have learned that Wonder Bread is now a subsidiary of Bimbo Bread.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Once outside of La Paz, the road to Todos Santos was like this all the way. Gentle grade, with a nice wide shoulder. Easy ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cactus fruit for sale on the side of the road. I would have liked to buy a couple but not the whole bucket, which was what was being offered.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice scenery for most of the ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The banner reads "No to the toxic mine". Evidently there is a move to reopen an old mine near Todos Santos which has the locals upset.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taken exactly 1000 miles from my front door.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The amount of time represented by this road cut is staggering. A mountain is eroded and turned into sediments which are then crushed into the roots of new mountains (metamorphic rocks), uplifted and eroded again by a stream which cuts the U shape notch. Then covered with new sediments and later uplifted again. Geologic time is not for the simple minded.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thank you, happy to be here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
First things first. Not quite as good as Alfonso's in Guerrero Negro, but a very nice way to end the day's ride nevertheless.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I'm not even trying to be frugal now. Best hotel in town and very comfortable.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Courtyard of the Hotel California
Heart 0 Comment 0
Evening mass
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sopa Azteca, also known as tortilla soup.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chicken breast rolled in fennel and cilantro with hibiscus sauce.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back in 2009 I humiliated poor A in cribbage, sitting at this very table,
Heart 0 Comment 0
I'll be back to street tacos tomorrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 1,015 miles (1,633 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0