To Saint-Malo - Three Seasons Around France: Autumn - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2022

To Saint-Malo

Not much needs to be said about our short ride to Saint-Malo, other than that my health is significantly better this morning and I feel fine for the easy 20 miler ahead.  Other than my health our main concern for today was the weather, which looked like it could be wet all day.  We woke up early thinking we’d be ready to leave first thing if that was our best window - but we got lucky and a hopefully dry three hour gap opened up between about 11 and 2 - perfect for bridging the gap between check-out here and check-in at the other end.

And though it looked iffy a few times, the gap more or less held and we arrive in Saint-Malo right past 2 after an easy, safe, scenic ride.  The only negative, small though it was, was that I forgot to recharge my camera battery yesterday and I was down to only two images before it died for the day.

Leaving Dinan. The first mile or two were along the highway, on a parallel bike path the whole way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Before long we left the highway for the quiet roads and followed them north to the outskirts of Saint-Malo.
Heart 2 Comment 0

So that was a disappointment, especially since the ride became more scenic as we went along.  We stopped a few times and I grabbed Rachael’s phone for a shot, but we ended up stopping far less often than I would have liked.  A good thing really though, as it was starting to sprinkle as we passed through the ramparts, entered the old city and rattled across the cobblestones to our hotel.  A few more photo stops and I could have endured the Wrath of Rocky for subjecting us to an avoidable soaking.

Looking across the Rance.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Crossing the Rance on the Saint-Hubert Bridge.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another view of the Saint-Hubert Bridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Chateaubriand Bridge from the Saint-Hubert Bridge.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking across the Rance.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Video sound track: Twilight on Prince George’s Avenue, by John Fahey

At our hotel, a lengthy spell with our eager-to-please host as he went over the many attractions just yards away - the ramparts, the sea views, the famous swimming pool, the restaurants.  We did the easiest thing and acted appreciative as he ran through his presentation but then headed to our room and I took a nap because it seemed like the smart thing to do.

In the early evening the serious rains came and we dropped plans to go out for a look around before sunset.  Tomorrow morning looks wet too, so it’s entirely possible that we’ll leave famously scenic Saint-Malo without any kind of a look at all.  C’est dommage.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 21 miles, 1,200’; for the tour: 297 miles, 20,300’

Today's ride: 21 miles (34 km)
Total: 297 miles (478 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0