In Arles: the streets (a photo gallery) - Three Seasons Around France: Autumn - CycleBlaze

November 9, 2022

In Arles: the streets (a photo gallery)

I awoke this morning with two anxieties on my mind - yesterday’s election results, and the uncovered bikes down in the atrium.  Having my priorities straight, I checked the weather first and saw with relief that it hadn’t rained yet at least, and the forecast for the day was noticeably improved.  Then I turned to the news sites I follow and felt some of the tension I’ve been building up over the last few weeks start easing off.  Maybe our country isn’t quite as hopelessly mad as it’s been seeming, and maybe it’s one we’ll be ready to return to next month after all.

There’s a chance that we could window a day ride into a gap in the weather, but neither of us is interested.  Arles is a city worth some time, and we’re happy to just loaf around and see some sights when the mood strikes us.

First though, breakfast.  We skipped the offering at the hotel and walked down to a bakery that Rachael scouted out, down in the flats below the rise the old walled city rises on.  Windy and grey but not cold, and warm enough for us to sit outside and consume two cafe au laits, a quiche and a  pastry each before taking a leisurely exploration of the old city on our way back to the room.  

Such a beautiful, colorful place Arles is!  Every street and alley we explored had something of surprising beauty or interest.  As you’d expect, there were many doors and windows to catch our attention.  We’ll let them speak for themselves.

We were transfixed by this dazzling structure in the distance as we walked to breakfast. It’s La Tour, the new cultural center designed by Frank Geary that opened just last year.
Heart 10 Comment 4
Keith AdamsThat building is fascinating. It looks like a drawing from a children's book of some sort. I can see why you were transfixed.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsGeary’s buildings are all fascinating. This is maybe the sixth or seventh one we’ve seen now, and they’re always exceptional.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Scott AndersonI saw that, when I Googled him. Definitely a man capable of thinking outside the box.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyWow, this building is stunning.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Returning to the old city, crowned by the Roman amphitheater. We’ll have a look at that later, and stick to the streets and alleys for now.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Creative door handle.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The doorway less traveled.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Janice BranhamSuch a great walking city. We were highly entertained by all the antiquities and street scenes Arles had to offer. Fun to se some familiar views again.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago