Down the Hill - Riding Slowly South - CycleBlaze

April 29, 2021

Down the Hill

Toowoomba to Ma Ma Creek

Why don't we tick off some km for our big trip?  we said. While we're here in Toowoomba we'll finish off some of the messy bits that will otherwise be gaps in our eventual line from Roma to Adelaide.

Like the bit down the Toowoomba range to Laidley. Much easier to do it on an unloaded bike. Let's go down Silver Pinch road to Lilydale and Ma Ma Creek. I remember that as a beautiful ride: great descent, stunning views, and a cafe at Ma Ma Creek which is memorable for its terrible Devonshire tea.

The views were still there and the road was upgraded to bitumen, so that was nice.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Unfortunately I misremembered some important bits, like the savage up after that big descent. And here I was thinking I'd gotten fit riding happily around flat little Roma only to find myself huffing and puffing as I pushed my bike in incremental steps up the Very Steep Hill.

Roger took one look at the VSH and declared himself quite happy to conquer it another day, opting instead to cycle gently from Lilydale to Ma Ma Creek, waving to curious cows, listening to singing birds, and not huffing and puffing at all. (I lie: he informs me he walked up one hill, not as steep as mine).

Reunited in the park at Ma Ma Creek we declared the ride a (dubious) success, sat under a shady tree and ate our sandwiches, and then celebrated with a milkshake at the Ma Ma Creek cafe. 

Being as organised as we are we then missed our entry to the campground at Lake Dyer (gates locked at 1730, we were there at 1735) and ended up in a much more expensive and far less attractive caravan park in Toowoomba. 

There was a nice sunset over the Toowoomba range.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Ah well. Tomorrow is another day.

Tomorrow we go west.

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 816 km (507 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0