It's Official - Riding Slowly South - CycleBlaze

February 24, 2021

It's Official

No Backing Out Now

It's official.

He told his work, I told mine.  We'll tell the family on the weekend.

We're casting aside the sea anchor of work and becoming (temporarily) jobless, homeless vagabonds.  Leaving dates are set (in a rubbery kind of way) and both of us are a wee bit nervous about saying goodbye to a regular paycheque for the foreseeable future.
 
Any departure is necessarily preceded by a goodbye, and this goodbye will take a long time.  We don't finish work until the end of June and then we intend to take a road trip to say goodbye to some of the places and people that matter.  We've lived in Queensland for a long time and it's a big state: the road trip only covers a little bit of it but it will still take a while.

Sometime around the end of August/beginningish of September we'll start pedaling, east to the sea with a little north-ish loop thrown in.  When we reach the ocean, we'll turn right and go as south as possible.  Why south?  Well, that should allow us to stay ahead of summer and behind winter; it's easy to navigate because all we need to do is keep the ocean on our left; and if you look at a globe it's obvious that South is downhill so of course the going will be easy. When we run out of South we'll follow the coast to the West and North. When we get to Adelaide, we'll catch our breath and figure out what happens next.

That's the plan. Apologies to Tasmania - 'south' didn't include you.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the meantime, life continues to happen.  Work has to be worked; houses have to be packed; stuff sold or given away; other stuff put into storage; more stuff returned to children to clog up their houses; bike stuff organised, repaired, or bought; weddings attended; farewells made.  Roger has to fill in some unsightly gaps on the map by riding his bike from Roma to Toowoomba, probably in little snippets throughout the ensuing months.  Covid and its attendant restrictions must be lived with and worked around.

D-day seems so far away, and yet I suspect it will arrive quicker than I think, and long before I'm ready.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Kathleen JonesCongratulations! Good for you two for making the leap. I look forward to reading about your adventures.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Titanium PenguinThanks Kathleen! I'm finding it difficult to concentrate and grind through the remaining weeks at work. A family wedding in April will provide a welcome distraction... Subject to Covid and State borders of course.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Rachael AndersonCongratulations! We retired and sold our home in Portland Oregon at the beginning of April 2018 and have been bicycle touring in Europe and the United States. It’s been great! Have a wonderful time and I look forward to following your adventures!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensGreat plan! We've quit our jobs three times to travel touring by bike, you'll not regret the decision.
Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago