Day 1, May Day, Canberra to Yass - Unfinished Business - CycleBlaze

May 1, 2023

Day 1, May Day, Canberra to Yass

What a day! It was a day for celebration rather than a bike ride. The Great Indigo Bike Ride is underway. We were up at 6, panicking as usual, baking a loaf of sourdough, gathering last minute things, tossing down breakfast, getting the loads on bikes, checking tyres. I guess there are people who do this weeks in advance. Not me, unfortunately.


We took the mandatory pre-ride photos in the drizzle and then started the ride from home. It's always a bizarre experience riding a loaded bike on routes one rides daily. And so it was a little before eight when we pedalled  down Verdon St, Manchurian pears dropping rich autumn leaves, wet with the morning's drizzle.

Heart 6 Comment 0

We found just a few people at ANU - Canberra's cyclists fear the rain. After a few brief speeches, full of kind words and encouragement, Alex Sloan cut the indigo ribbon and we were off. 

Heart 4 Comment 0
Cutting the ribbon. Thank you Alex
Heart 4 Comment 0

Around the corner, onto the bikepath- the daily commute.  But we veered down the Molonglo and to Uriarra Crossing. We were really on our way up the steep hill at the start of Mountain Creek Road - the long way to Yass.  Yellow rumped thornbill and red browed finches darted; a wedgetail circled and choughs moved leaf litter.

We stopped on an embankment for lunch enjoyed our breas and cheese and a lump of ravani for all. Frank supplied garlic macadamias. All under dismal skies but with the elation for me that the ride was underway. Moreover, we had not been knocked off our bikes by marauding chooks; it happens, you know.

We climbed the big ascent out of the Murrumbidgee, rolled into Yass, set up in the campground and walked to the pub for dinner. 

What a terrific May Day! Cyclists of the world unite!

Heart 4 Comment 0
The first border - ACT-NSW
Heart 4 Comment 0
We missed the chooks
Heart 4 Comment 0
Murrumbidgee entering Burrinjuck Dam; we dam our rivers in Australia!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Yass courthouse. Note the UK emblem - lion and unicorn. A short distance away are some aboriginal murals
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 89 km (55 miles)
Total: 89 km (55 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Graham SmithGreat to hear you are underway.
A ribbon-cutting?
That’s a flash start to a cycle tour.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago