The Crabtree-Waterloo loop - Northwest passages: riding out the storm - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2020

The Crabtree-Waterloo loop

Well, I used up most of my words for the day with the camera/spectacles lost and found saga.  So even though today’s ride was one of the nicest we’ve found down here, all you get are the pics and video.  I’m sure we’ll be back in the vicinity again soon though.

In Crabtree, ready to ride. If only Rocky would hurry up.
Heart 5 Comment 0
On Hungry Hill Road, scattering the crowd of hungry vultures feasting on some fresh roadkill. There were fifteen or twenty of them hovering above, waiting for us to clear the scene so they could resume their meal.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mine! All mine!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Hoffman Bridge, in Hungry Hill Road. It’s nice to see one that’s still in use like this, rather than off in the weeds by the side of its replacement.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We seem to be in the rhythm of breaking things. After dropping the phone one too many times, Rachael replaced her Galaxy S8 with the new S10 and is super-excited about It. Expect to see more than the usual number of photos from her as she experiments with its improved camera.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Eastbound on Larwood Drive, following Crabtree Creek . This is really fine cycling country - mostly flat, but surrounded by low ridges.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking back down rows of newly sprouted corn to what I think is Hungry Hill.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Video sound track: Tanglewood Tree, by Dave Carter & Tracy Grammer

Another beautiful and still in use covered bridge, over Crabtree Creek again. A good spot to stop, look around, and finally get around to pumping up Rachael’s tires. Her front one was down to 20 psi!
Heart 3 Comment 0
More! I want more pressure, Rachael insists. So I forcefully persist, and end up snapping the damn valve. We’re in luck, and protected from our stupidity once more. We’re surprised to see we’ve only been carrying one spare for weeks now, but fortunately it’s for the Straggler’s smaller 26” wheels.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Crabtree Creek and the Larwood Bridge.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rolling again. With luck we’ll both make it back to the car without destroying another tube.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Andrea BrownWhat a beautiful bridge.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
On Green Mountain Drive and the only noteworthy climb of the day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Near Lacomb, near the summit of Green Mountain Road. For the next several miles we enjoy a lovely, lazy descent as we work our way south toward Waterloo and the South Santiam River.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The great wind arrow points north today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The South Santiam River from the Waterloo Bridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We really enjoyed this vignette of life in the country. We weren’t really sure who is being trained here - the dog, or the goats?
Heart 3 Comment 1
Andrea BrownThey used to hold sheep dog trials in Corvallis every summer, maybe they still do?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
The Reed School, East of Lebanon on Berlin Road. Built in 1922, it is one of the few still standing of the many one room schoolhouses that once existed in rural Linn County.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Springbank Farm sits on a lovely spot on the banks of the South Santiam River. The old barn is just a few hundred yards from Reed School.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The small Lebanon Dam was built to feed the Lebanon Santiam Canal, a mill race that diverts water through downtown Lebanon. The original dam dates back to the 1870s, but has been updated to one that includes a small fish ladder.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Going, going, .... for how much longer will we still be able to see this substantial old stone home?
Heart 3 Comment 1
Andrea BrownA classic "blackberry burial" for old houses in western Oregon.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
This natty scarecrow is quite the rake. I’ll bet he can really shovel it out to the birds that stop for a chat.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: Scott: 48 miles,1,500’; Rachael: 52 miles, 1,600’

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0